Nudge

“Don’t peek ,” I poke her in the back.

“I couldn’t if I wanted too. Your blocking my eyes.”

“Yes I am.”

I feel her cheeks perk up and this makes me smile. I nod to Effie who throws open the bedroom door and I slowly guide Katniss into it before removing my hands.

Katniss gasps as she takes in the room and I’m also still in the wonder of what Effie helped me pull off.

We started by painting the whole room a dark, forest green. The window sill, the door, everything. Then we took the ink black paint and made artistic patterns all over the green paint. So elegant and yet, if we do have a boy, the room would suit just as well.

The dress is a tree-brown and right under the window, Effie placed small stuffed toys over the top as well as a few photo’s of Katniss and I, Haymitch and Effie herself. One big family.

A mahogany rocking-chair sits in one corner also covered in stuffed toys and a small play pen sits in another.

In the centre of the room is the little white cot with a mobile hanging from the roof.

Katniss throws herself   at meand hugs tightly.

“It’s perfect Peeta. So very perfect. Thank you so much.”

I kiss her softly as she begins to cry and Effie grabs us both in a group hug. Soon  we’re all laughing and gazing around the room.

“Thanks for your help Effie,” I thank her and hug her solo. “You were right. My previous way was crap. You’re a genius.”

“Oh don’t say that Peeta,” She huffs. “I just said what I thought and honestly, it was such a prevlidge to help you with this.”

“Yes thanks Effie,” Katniss hugs her, too. “Our baby is so lucky to have-”

The uneven footsteps on the stairs alert us Haymitch is on his way and obviously tipsy. He told me to show her before he got here.

“Well I’ll be damned,” Haymitch squints around the room. “The last I looked, it was like the Capitol or something.”

“We have Effie to thank for the change,” I credit a slightly red Effie. “Go on Haymitch, give her a hug.”

Haymitch staggers forward and brings Effie into a massive bear hug. At first she objects, but eventually she relaxes and hugs him back.

“We all did this together,” she announces. “We’re all bringing this gorgeous gift into the world.”

Katniss wraps her arm around my waist and rests her head on my shoulder. I place my hand on her large stomach and rub it soothingly.

Then I feel a soft pump against my hand.

I jump out of Katniss’s arms in shock and they stop talking.

“What’s wrong Peeta?”

“Did you feel that Katniss?” I ask her while trying to contain my excitement. “Did you?”

I put my hand back on her stomach without a response and almost immediately, I feel the nudging again.

Katniss gasps and I know she feels it, too.

Effie screams and puts one of her hands next to my own. The baby begins to kick wildly  and I start to cry at the marvel.  I check Katniss’s face to make sure she’s not in pain, but she’s also grinning and crying.

“Quick Haymitch,” I gesture for him to come closer. “You’re going to be this baby’s grandfather so you should feel it.”

Haymitch’s hands replace my own and he also whoops when he feels it.

“Woohoo! This one’s a fighter! Good luck you two. The one’s a little rebel, that’s for sure.”

We spend the rest of the day talking, eating and feeling the baby.