The birth

I try not to freak out as I pull the gloves on. I'm not sure what to do and I honestly don't think I'll be able to do it. 

I kiss Katniss's forehead and give her hand a squeeze before I stick myself to Delly's side who's pulling on a mask. 

"Delly, I don't know if I can do this," I admit.

"Don't worry Peeta. I'll do the actual delivery, but I need you to be my helper,"

I take a deep breath as she commands and then Effie an Haymitch fly into the room.

"I can't believe I have to see this," Haymitch groans. "Why am I here?"

"You said you wanted to be on the list Haymitch," I point out.

"Yeah okay. I'm going to stay up this end though," he stands next to Katniss's head. "I don't want to see anything that could hurt me for the rest of my life."

Effie slaps Haymitch before taking the hand Katniss's mother, Maria, isn't holding.

"You can do this!" she squeaks in her accent. "If you can win the games, twice, I might add, you can certainly deliver a baby."

Haymitch settles in on a chair and then we're all set.

"Okay Katniss," Delly instructs. "I'm going to need you to start pushing."

Katniss begins to pant harder and starts to push.

"That's it. Just keep going. Push and breathe, push and breathe."

I assist Delly all through the night, by helping Katniss establish a breathing pattern and handing Delly tools. 

As the time nears closer to the actual birth and Katniss's screams become more frequent, I get Haymitch to take over the breathing routine so I can help Delly. 

Katniss lets out a really high pitched scream and Haymitch panics as do I.

"Calm down," he soothes her. "You're not dying."

"Peeta," Delly calls for me. "Grab a blanket, I think I see the head."

I kneel near Delly as she commands Katniss again.

"Come on Katniss, one big push. Come on."

Katniss screams and Delly cheers. 

"The heads through! One more push, that's all that's needed!"

And then a beautiful baby falls onto the blanket I hold in my arms.