Haymitch

I wake up first the next morning. I try to force myself into the dark bliss, but after a few minutes I realise it’s futile.

When I open my eyes, I can still see the damp areas on the pillow where out tears hit last night. My cheek feels damp to, meaning I must have cried even as I slept.

Effie. Oh Effie.

I glance down at Katniss whose face is buried in my neck. Her hands are tangled around me. One around my neck and the other around my waist. I realise both my arms are crushing her to me and when I relax them, she rolls away a little, still asleep.

I climb out of bed, pull on some shorts and go down stairs. I nearly yell out when I see the person huddled on our couch.

I near whoever it is carefully before prodding them with a finger.

“Ouch boy!” Haymitch’s gruff voice startles me backwards. “Watch it.”

“Haymitch! Hi!” I try to sound cheery.

He narrows his red shot eyes at me so I quickly lose the façade.

We stand there awkwardly, facing each other, but neither of us says anything.

He holds his arms out first so of course I embrace him.

It isn’t a tolerated hug that we usually share. It isn’t just a quick squeeze. We hug each other like we’re father and son having lost a mother.

We don’t cry. Just hold each other. We only pull away when Katniss comes down the stairs.

“Peeta,” she fake gasps. “Is there something you need to tell me?”

This makes me smile and Haymitch too.

“I’ll cook breakfast,” I leave the two together as Haymitch hugs her now.

*

We sit down to eat a massive plate of eggs and bacon followed by Haymitch and Katniss’s favourite berry pancakes. Then we start talking about random stuff. We hesitantly ask about the honeymoon and he seems pleased to share on the subject.

“Well I had a blast personally. We went to the Capitol first where we stayed in a spa for a few nights. We went to all these fancy diners and did you know that Effie could sing? She sang this beautiful song called My Heart Will Go On at the karaoke show thing and won first place. Then we left for District 7 where we stayed with Johanna Mason in these wooden cottages. We went hiking through forests and there was this whole scene where these bees, no trackerjackers mind you, decide to descend on our camp and we had to go jump in the lake. Mrs Aberthany was not proud of that.”

I start at the use of her name. Of course, she’s Mrs Aberthany now. The thought never really occurred to me.

“Staying in District 4 was pretty good. Nice sea food and the beach walks were good.”

He sighs when he’s finished the story and shakes his head.

“Anyway’s kids, I came here for your help.”

“What do you need Haymitch?” Katniss lays her hand on his arm.

“I know you probably won’t want to do this, but I need help organising her funeral. Please help.”