Growing

Over the next days, we hardly get any sleep. All through the nights, Prudence whimpers until Katniss lets her suckle. She only ever cries when she's hungry and though that's a little worrying, it shows she's very strong.

Katniss's mother visits everyday so Katniss can sleep. Effie and Haymitch come around about twice a week. I love watching Haymitch with our bundle of joy He's cranky until we give her to him and then he turns into his own bundle of love. He coos and rocks her and even when he catches us watching, he smiles the whole time.

After two weeks, Delly assesses Prue and tells us that although she's so young, she's strong enough to begin being bottle fed. Katniss and I decide that we'll make the transition slowly. Soon we have a schedule of breast feeding through the night, and the bottle through the day. Basically, I sleep through the night and Katniss through the day.

Katniss and I exchange kisses here and there, but it's three weeks after Prues birth that we do more. It makes us feel awkward so we usually put a blanket over her cot so she can't wake up and see.

It's like I'm living in a dream. Paradise. I'm married to the most amazing person I've ever known, someone who gave me a reason to live and we have a beautiful creation  we made together so many months ago. I have a beautiful family, Effie and Haymitch included.

The only thing that ever dampens my feeling of happiness, is the fear that comes when I see Effie getting weaker and weaker. I confronted her one day to tell someone like Haymitch. The guilt I held of knowing while others didn't was weighing on me. 

"Effie, please tell them," I beg as we sit on the front steps of my house. Prue's cradled in my arms as I bottle feed her. "Please."

"I can't," she chews her lip. "I'll make them sad."

"They'll feel sadder if you didn't tell them," I point out.

We go silent until I have to ask.

"How long?"

"Two months."

I close my eyes against the pain. I don't stop the tears that start to roll done my cheeks.

"Peeta," she hugs me. "Okay I will. I'll do this for you."

"Thank you," I kiss her cheek.

Later that night, we go to tea at Mrs Everdeen's new house she bought in the middle of District Twelve. Katniss bought a baby harness that cuddled Prue against her chest, allowing the baby to sleep as we went about our thing.

At dinner, Effie made her announcement.

"I need to say something," she squeaks.

I take Katniss's hand and I try to ignore her quizzical looks.

"I... I'm sick," Effie starts. "Very sick."

The table goes silent until Marie speaks.

"How sick?"

"Sick enough to die in two months," Effie takes a deep breathe and looks down.

Katniss begins to shake violently and her nails dig into my hand as she grips it. She closes her eyes and begins to rock backwards and forwards. I put my arm around her and pull her into my side as she begins to cry.

Marie simply puts her hands over her eyes as her shoulders begin to shake as well.

Haymitch is the calmest.

"What is it?" he asks hoarsely. You can see the pain in his eyes.

"Cancer," Effie sits down in her chair. After a moments thought, she rips her wig off to show her bald head.

Katniss wails and wakes Prue who starts to cry. Marie Everdeen stumbles from her chair and throws herself at Effie.

Haymitch shoves away from the table and sprints out the front door.