Nurse Peeta

I am awake when she first begins to moan in her sleep. At first I think she was dreaming, but then her chest began to rise and fall rapidly.

“Katniss?” I ask urgently. “Katniss, wake up. What’s wrong?”

Her eyes shoot open, but her pants continue.

“Did you have a nightmare?” I ask gently.

“No Peeta it’s-” Her sentence breaks off and she lets out a scream.

“Katniss?” I yell. “What’s wrong?”

“The baby,” she moans.

Then I notice the wet patch growing over the sheets. Her water broke. She’s having contractions.

The baby’s coming.

I fly from the bed and quickly yank on some jeans before pulling a writhering Katniss into my arms.

I bound down the stairs as quickly as I can and make for the car Effie left for us in case this happened.

I slide Katniss into the front seat and sprint to the other side before jumping in and cranking up the purring vehicle.

There’s traffic now in District Twelve, believe it or not.  The fences had been ripped down so the town could grow and it has. To three times it’s original size. There’s traffic lights (which I ignore as I speed towards the hospital) and people walking around the streets even though it’s ten at night.

As I’m nearing the hospital, I feel Katniss grab my arm. I don’t take my eyes of the road even as I bend my head to kiss her hand.

“Peeta,” she moans. “I’m scared. I’m so scared. It it hurts so much. I didn’t think it would hurt like this.”

“I know baby,” I soothe. “I know. But it’s going to be over soon. It’ll only be for a little while. And think of it this way, when it is over, you’ll be able to hold a little person that you made, in your arms.”

I risk a glance at her face which I see to be moist with tears.

“I’m here for you,” I conclude and kiss her hand again.

A minute later, we pull up outside the Hospital. I run to Katniss’s side and pull her into my arms again before sprinting into the building.

“She’s in labour!” I yell as I dart towards the reception desk. “The baby’s coming.”

The receptionist, who I recognize to be a girl from school, nods seriously and comes out from behind the desk.

“Okay, okay. Bring her in here and I’ll call your doctor now.”

“And my mum!” Katniss speaks. “Please call my mum also. I… I need her.”

The receptionist nods before leaving the room.

I gently lay Katniss down on the pristine white sheets before I begin to change her into the hospital gown. The whole time she continues to moan  loudly and twitch.

“It’s okay. It’s okay,” I grip her hands tightly. “You’ll be okay Katniss, the doctor’s coming.”

“Peeta I love you,” she pants. “Don’t leave me. Stay. Don’t let them make you leave.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” I vow and kiss her forhead.

There’s a commotion outside our door before Mrs Everdeen bursts into the room, dressed in a nightgown. She’d been staying with a friend in town as the time of the birth was getting closer so she could be here.

“Oh Katniss honey,” she murmurs and puts her hand on Katniss’s cheek. “I know it hurts, but I got through it and now so will you.”

Katniss nods furiously before letting out a scream.

“Shh,” I hush her just as our doctor, who also happens to be Delly Cartwright, bursts into the room.

She pulls on gloves before assessing the room.

“Well folks, looks like Peeta’s got everything organized. Our lovely receptionist is calling Mr Aberthany and Miss Trinket as requested and all that needs to be done now is deliver the baby.”

She tosses gloves at me which I catch on reflex.

“Peeta,” she looks me in the eye. “My nurse couldn’t make it. So I’m going to need you help deliver this child.”