First Words

After taking Prudence back home, I cook dinner as Haymitch minds Prue and Katniss showers.

I set the table and, as instructed by Haymitch, I place Prudence’s high chair beside his.

Katniss comes down from her shower and we all sit down to have a dinner of roast potatoes with roast chicken and honey sauce. In a little bowl, I mush the chicken and potato and hand it to Haymitch to feed Prue.

We don’t talk as we eat and it’s only when Prudence knocks her food flying that we warm and laugh.

Katniss and I are washing dishes when Haymitch lets out a bomb.

“Effie was pregnant, you know.”

I feel my mouth flop open and I grip the counter for support. Katniss lets out a little shriek and a plate slips through her fingers and smashes on the floor.

Neither of us says anything as he begins to blow raspberries on Prue’s belly, causing her to giggle.

I recover from the shock and drop to my knees alongside Katniss to pick up the glass shards.

“Oh god, oh god,” Katniss shivers. “Peeta, what do we say? What do I say? Oh god Effie.”

“You don’t have to say anything,” I whisper to her and stand up, only to find Haymitch looking at me.

“He’s right,” he tells Katniss. “You don’t. I know what you want to say. I know what you should say. But don’t say anything. You don’t have to. I just wanted you to know this, kids. I’ve been feeling sick, knowing that there’s a little child that’s not being acknowledged.”

Katniss hugs Haymitch tightly and he and I exchange nods. No more is said on the matter.

Later, all for of us sit around the roasting fire. Winter’s coming and the autumn chill sends shivers down our spine. Prue sits on the floor waving her fists in the air and bouncing in place as the ice cream sugar takes effect.

We talk about their honeymoon again; going over details, he’d already tole us. We tell him that Annie had called with Johanna. The two want to visit soon to which he nods. The funeral.

We’re all feeling glum until Prudence mutters her first words.

“GRANDDADDY!” She shrieks and points a finger at Haymitch.