First Words, First Steps

All our mouths fall open.

We stare at Prudence in shock as she shakes her fists wildly in the air towards Haymitch and bounces in place.

“Granddaddy, granddaddy, granddaddy!” she repeats and bounces even faster.

“She’s talking!” Katniss states the obvious.

“How…” I mumble in shock.

Haymitch just looks like he’s about to cry.

“Granddaddy?? Granddaddy, granddaddy, granddaddy??” Prue squawks louder in a panicked voice. She makes little noises as she tries to scoot towards Haymitch until somehow; she gets on her hands and knees before standing upright and trotting towards Haymitch.

We’re all still in shock as she falls against his leg and begins to tug on his pants.

“Granddady?”

Haymitch, with shaking arms, lifts Prudence up and places her on his lap where she huddles down.

“Holy…” Katniss’s mouth opens and closes.

“Cheese buns,” I finish after thinking of something appropriate.

Haymitch openly starts to cry as Prue continues to tug on his shirt and mutter “granddaddy”.

“This is so adorable,” Katniss gasps as tears spring up in her eyes. “Peeta, her first words and her first steps all at once? This is just amazing!”

She jumps off the couch and after hesitating for a moment, sprints up stairs.

“She…” Haymitch stutters. “She thinks… thinks I’m her... her granddad?”

“Apparently so,” I grin at him as I rub my hand on Prue's back. The sugar is still obviously buzzing in her. Her eyes are far wider than they should be and she continues to bounce.

The sugar must have boosted her brain.

There’s a sudden flash in the room and when I look up, I see Katniss holding a camera.

Haymitch quickly brushes his tears away.

“What did you do?” He asks gruffly.

“I took a picture,” Katniss states. “It’s for Prue’s book. It’s like the plant book, but for Prudence, you know? I’m documenting the milestones in her life.”

“Can I see the picture?” Haymitch outstretches his hand and before I can stop her, she hands the camera over.

I make a grab for the camera, but Haymitch shoves me aside and smiles wickedly.

“Nice try sweetheart, but you should have known I’d never let you keep a picture of me crying.”

“I did know,” Katniss smiles sweetly and holds and little card in her hand. “I put it on this and took it out before giving it to you. I’m not dumb Haymitch.”

The look of defeat on Haymitch’s face makes me burst out laughing.

Later, Katniss and I lay a now sleeping Prue in her cot in her room. Now sleeping through the night, we didn’t have to keep her in with us.

“This is so exciting,” Katniss whispers excitedly in my ear as we tuck her in. “Her first words!”

“I know,” I whisper back.

We slip quietly out the room and into the hall.

I turn to Katniss who is already facing me and soon we’re pressed to each other. I back her into our room and close the door tightly behind us.