Chapter 1: The Best Holiday Ever

This is my first fan fiction book, I hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER ONE: THE BEST HOLIDAY EVER
~R E B E C C A   S T A R F L Y~

I stared longingly out the window of the plane at the skyline of New York in the distance. This was it! After all those months of saving up and waiting, I was here; in New York!

‘Mum, how long until we get there?’

I winced as my voice came out a little British sounding. That usually happened when I was feeling embarrassed, nervous or excited.

Sarah, my mother, rolled her eyes and sighed from the seat in front of me.

‘Only thirty seconds less than the last time you asked me.’

I couldn’t help it. I’d been waiting ages for this trip. We’d come all the way from Australia.

Beside me, my eight year old sister Charlotte started bouncing up and down in her seat, giggling uncontrollably.

‘Charlie,’ I pleaded. ‘Please, stop bouncing. It’s making me nauseous.’

Charlotte stopped moving and looked up at me, tilting her head to the side so it looked like she was trying to get water out of her ear, ‘What’s naw-tus?’

On my other side, Chloe, my eleven year old sister, shook her head, trying very hard not to laugh but doing a very bad job.

‘Nauseous,’ I corrected her. ‘It means sick.’

Charlotte frowned, ‘But-’

In front of me, my father, Peter, interrupted.

‘Girls, strap yourselves in,’ he said, gesturing to the sign flashing seatbelt above our heads.

A man’s voice called out over the intercom, ‘Please prepare for landing in New York at the LaGuardia Airport.’

My skin started to tingle. We were almost there! I tapped my fingers impatiently; on my knee, on the seat, on my backpack.

Chloe frowned at me, ‘Rebecca, please stop tapping. It’s making me nauseous.’

I rolled my eyes, ‘Yeah right.’

But I did as I was asked. Sometimes my ADHD annoyed even me. Stupid hyperactive disorder.

‘Here you go, girls,’ my mum said, passing out three bags of sweets.

It was family tradition to munch on a bag of lollies while landing or taking off in an airplane to stop your ears from popping.

I grabbed a strawberry cream from my bag and popped it in my mouth. I chewed hard as the plane started to descend. Charlotte put her fingers in her ears as if to block out the noise of the plane coming in to land.

I screwed up my eyes and ate a milk bottle as we touched down. My legs started jiggling.

Almost there.

I held my breath excitedly as the people at the front started to move. Row by row, passengers got up, grabbed their belongings and exited the plane. I stood up as my parents put their bags over their shoulders. Chloe put her I-pod away.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and stepped out into the middle isle when the people in front of me were gone. Just as I did so, a woman wrapped in a black shawl pushed past me.

‘Hey!’ I protested. ‘Wait in line.’

The woman’s head jerked towards her, whipping her long black hair around like a curtain of night. And just for a second, her eyes flashed a sickly, luminescent green. Then the woman turned and continued on her way down the length of the plane.