Chapter 5: So That's What Demigod Dreams Are

Not much to say. Just please enjoy.

CHAPTER FIVE: SO THAT'S WHAT DEMIGOD DREAMS ARE
~R E B E C C A   S T A R F L Y~

Percy skipped the camp fire.

I didn’t blame him. It seemed that the god’s pact to have no more children had now been broken three times. That was something to take in.

I didn’t feel like the campfire either, so I went to find Percy. I wasn’t sure what she was going to say, but I knew that I had to say something.

I wandered around for a while, looking for where my new half-brother had gone, and I eventually stumbled across a collection of cabins that looked nothing like each other. All but one of them was dark and eerie in the early evening moonlight.

A long, low cabin towards the back was bathed in pale light. The cabin itself looked like it was made of grey stone. The walls had coral and seashells peppered all along the outside like they’d been hastily thrown on. The entire of the cabin was bathed in the smell of the ocean.

I peeked through the door and heard the sounds of a shouting match. Opening the door, I cautiously walked in, figuring that if I were Poseidon’s daughter, this was my new home.

The inside of the cabin felt lonely and hollow. There were six bunk beds lined along the back wall, each neatly made up with silk sheets. Only two of the bed looked like it had been slept in in the last hundred years. A couple of couches were gathered to the left of the room with a small TV. Even though the night was still, a salty scented breeze drifted throughout the cabin. I could hear the sounds of the campers singing heartily in the distance through the open windows.

In one of the corners, Percy stood yelling at a fountain. As I drew closer with curiosity, I could see that an image of a man glittered in the mist sprayed up by the water. Percy wasn’t yelling at the fountain, I realized, he was yelling at the man.

The man looked like any normal fisherman you’d see along any beach. He wore a blue Hawaiian t-shirt, Bermuda shorts and worn leather sandals. His skin was tanned and his hair was coal black; just like Percy’s. Just like mine, I thought. His sea-green eyes were lined with smile lines, but he definitely wasn’t smiling now.

'Why did you never tell me?' Percy screamed, sounding slightly crazed.

The man in the fountain shook his head, ‘I couldn’t. You should know I couldn’t. Zeus never knew; nobody did! If I told you, well, Zeus is lord of the sky. The air would have brought the news to him. I didn’t want to bring a terrible fate upon her like you had. When she came to camp, I knew she would have to be claimed. But I wanted to refrain from that.’

'But dad!'

Rebecca flinched.

'How could you not tell me I had a sister?' Percy sounded close to tears. 'I’ve been on my own all my life here! I’ve had to watch all my friends growing up with brother and sisters while I had no one.’

'It was dangerous. My children have always had hardships upon them. Look at what you've had to go through. I wanted to keep her from that,' Poseidon told him sadly. 'I was especially anxious when she flew to New York. I was sure that Zeus would discover her. It was dumb luck that she survived.'

Percy was still not happy.

'Everyone else has always had siblings,' he said. 'Even Thalia had Jason.'

Poseidon looked down, ashamed, 'That’s different.'

'How?' Percy shouted. His eyes seemed to flash fleetingly; like lightning striking over the ocean. 'It’s no different. The only difference was Zeus form.'