Chapter 6: The Revelations No One Wished For

Im dedicating this chapter to Puppydude for standing by me always and being my best friend. Thanks Puppydude!

CHAPTER SIX: THE REVELATIONS NO ONE WISHED FOR
~R E B E C C A   S T A R F L Y~

I had already seen the Big House.

Well, I’d seen the outside of the Big House. I was most definitely not expecting what she saw on the inside of the Big House.

What Leo called the “rec room” was actually a small, confined space with a low hanging ceiling. The middle of the room was occupied by-of all things-a ping pong table. A variety of foods and diet coke littered the surface, which some of the campers were eyeing hungrily.

‘Whoa,’ I allowed my eyes to wander over the chaotic scene before me.

Taking up the space in the small room around the table was a band of around twenty kids in their late teens.

There was a girl in the corner with her muddy boots up on the table, sharpening a wicked looking knife, and across from her were two suspicious looking boys with slanted eyes and matching, mischievous grins.

A boy with a quiver full of arrows on his back was bouncing a ping pong on a paddle while a girl next to him was staring intently at a rose with her head tipped to one side. As I watched, the girl flicked her fingers and changed the rose into a sunflower, then a daisy, then a lavender.

‘Yeah,’ Percy grinned at me, ‘This is the rec room, where meetings and war councils are usually held. These are all the councillors from the different cabins.’

Rebecca was still staring around the room from the doorway when Chiron came into the room in wheel chair form. He took his place at the head of the table and all the councillors snapped instantly to attention.

Only then did I noticed that Percy, Annabeth and Leo had moved to sit in a couple of spare chairs surrounding the ping pong table, and I walked quickly and silently over to join them.

Positioning myself in a chair beside Percy and Leo, I found herself under intense scrutiny by the other councillors.

Some were trying to look at her discretely; bowing their heads and looking up under their lashes. Others stared openly and without shame-like the girl with the sharp knife. Judging by her expression and the presence of the weapon, Rebecca figured that this girl was a daughter of Ares, the war god.

Practically confirming her suspicions, the girl glared at her and said, ‘So we have another water baby that I can squish to a pulp.’

'Clarisse!’ Annabeth yelped, ‘Why would you even say that?’

Clarisse shrugged, ‘Because it’s true. If she’s anything like her brother, she’s gonna get it.’

As Annabeth made a retort, Percy looked round sympathetically at me, and then I heard his voice echoing around my head.

Sorry about Clarisse, I heard him say. Children of Ares have never really gotten along with any of the others, especially Poseidon. Don’t take it too personally.

My eyes widened in shock. I opened my mouth to ask him how he did it, but Percy shook his head ever so slightly, warning me not to speak. His eyes flickered to Clarisse and back to me, and I understood; they didn’t know he could do that. Instead, he answered my unspoken question in my mind.

We’re both kids of Poseidon, he explained silently. So we can talk to each other telepathically. Try.

I took a deep breath, focused intensely on Percy and thought, hello?