Chapter 9 (Investigation)

It's fake! It's all fake! Why can't anyone see this?

I screamed mentally once I processed what was happening. My head throbbed while my fists clenched at my sides. Vivian was pulling an act! I was sure of it even though I almost believed her myself!

Vivan never cried. But she could pull it off like an Oscar winner. It figured that she wanted to be an actress. She clearly had the talent for it. She won the staff over with her sweet pretenses and her innocuous beauty and, maybe other favors I had no clue about, but what I was sure of, she was never going to cry over what happened to Tina. It didn't make any sense unless...

She was up to something!

"Hey, Miss. Are you a witness of the accident? " A tall and bald officer interrupted my train of thought, his hands tucked into his pockets. I flinched at the proximity of his rasping voice, automatically comparing it to the silvery voice of the guy from the café this afternoon. It was stupid, because there was no comparison whatsoever. The timing of this thought was just incredibly wrong.

"Well, Umm!... Uh... No. I just came back from work." My voice came out small and tremulous. How the hell was I going to tell him anything this way? I was a mess.

"Are you acquainted with the victim ?"

"Yeah! She's my roommate. "

"Have a seat, young lady. I reckon you won't mind a few questions. " he waved his hand towards the couch.

"Sure..."

There was the only empty spot next to weepy Vivian and her loyal follower. My body tensed. I didn't like sitting so close to them and possibly making any physical contact. Touching people was not my favorite thing. Although, I've had moments when I desperately needed a hug, but definitely not by someone I mortally despised.

I ambled towards the couch and tried to sit at the edge, compressing myself toward the armrest as far as possible. I crossed my arms and ankles, my muscles aching from the stiff posture.

The cop pulled a chair that was hidden in the far corner behind his muscular colleague - who stood there crossing his arms casually and watching everyone - and placed it in front of the couch, facing my direction. He sat down and steepled his fingers, his elbows resting on his knees. He bent slightly forward to be at my eye level.

"I must inform you that you do not have to say or do anything, but anything you say or do may be given in evidence. Do you understand that?" Stated the cop in a formal way.

I nodded and gulped.

"Your name, age and occupation?" Asked the officer.

"Melody Summer. Nineteen. I work in a coffee shop. "

"I could use some coffee right now." The officer mused scratching his mustache. " How long have you been a resident?"

" About... seven months. "

"Reason of your stay?"

" I was in foster care and I came here for the youth program. "

"Do you know the victim by the name of Tina Oliver personally?"

My eyes glanced sideways to my left where Vivian was expertly letting out a sob once in a while . Her impressively realistic tremors were gone now, but she was still curled up next to the other girl, her eyes shut as if she was faint.

"Yes, sir. We share the same room but... umm! We didn't really talk much."

"May I ask for a reason ?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Tina is just... quiet and reserved. She doesn't encourage conversation. I think she's been going through depression after running away from home. "

"Your good friend here said the same thing." The cop jerked his chin towards Vivian.

I pressed my lips together. God! I wanted to tell him Vivian was the bad influence. She most likely did this to her. She blackened her soul more and more. She probably abused her for God knows what reasons. But how could I prove it? If I divulged my suspicions, I would just piss her off and no one would believe me.

"Did you notice anything unusual about the victim beside signs of depression? Anything comes to mind?" The cop kept grilling.

"I don't know. We only meet for a short time before she and Vivian leave for work. I think Vivian would know about her personal problems. They work together. " I pressed the letters of my last words, trying to imply that she was involved; a feeble attempt to make him take the hint without actually saying it. After all, the only possible perpetrator was sitting inches from me.

He paused for a moment shooting a nonchalant glance at Vivian and then looked back at me.

"Have you witnessed any disturbance or arguments involving the victim with any of the residents?"

This time I paused to think about the best way to say this. I knew the answer, but a jolt of hesitation shook my heart for a while.

I had a side glimpse of Vivian fluttering her eyes swiftly. Her fist was clenched.

"She is only friends with Vivian. I haven't seen her argue with anyone."

I wanted to add the word 'else' at the end of the sentence but I chickened out. Vivian was not famous for being forgiving, and if she hurt Tina she could hurt me too.

I was such a coward, but I had no solid proof of anything to tell the police.

" Is there anything else you want to add?" The officer asked me.

"No." I shook my head.

The officer thanked me and told me I might be needed to testify if it came to that point. I said Okay, but I didn't know if I really could do that.

He stood up, producing a small notepad and scribbled some notes then he strode towards his coworker who was checking a painting on the wall with his hands behind his back.

The policemen finally headed outside and everyone in the room began to stir to get to their dorms.

Apparently,  Vivian was adamant to win this game. The dramatic scene wasn't over yet. Her performance was the most impressive when she turned her pretty little head, fixing her gaze in my direction through her reddened gray eyes and long lashes. Her face was damp from the crocodile tears.

Her clenched fist, lying between us, unclenched and while nobody was looking, her middle finger stuck out as she mouthed soundless words that made my eyebrows rise.

'Bite me!'

*****************

NOW YOU MEET THE INFAMOUS Vivian!!!! What do you think? :)

Please VOTE .. COMMENT...SHARE. IT doesn't get any better than this :D

I would also like to thank my friends EgyptiAngel129  @julsiePatootsie @RomaizaIbad J_E_Green   for the great support and the generous votes.

MUCH LOVE

Most.