"Plus Size" Doesn't Equal Unhealthy

All:

All:

Enjoy this little piece on Cheryl Tiegs idiotic comments about Ashley Graham's Sports Illustrated cover.  I felt the Self Worth Diet needed to weigh in...no pun intended...actually pun intended. And for the record, I think Ashley is way hotter than Cheryl ever was.

Please vote and comment.  xoxox Mara

-----------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/03/02/truth-about-whether-plus-size-women-are-actually-unhealthy.html?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obinsite

The Self Worth Diet must weigh in on the latest little controversy regarding model, Ashley Graham's, "plus size" swimsuit cover for Sports Illustrated. I reported on my blog how great it was for Sports Illustrated to feature real women on the cover of their famous swimsuit issue. I was also holding my breath for some flack regarding the cover.

And the flack came in the form of former model, Cheryl Tiegs. I will quote what she said on E! "I don't like that we're talking about full-figured women because it's glamorizing them because your waist should be smaller than 35 [inches]," she said. "That's what Dr. Oz said, and I'm sticking to it. No, I don't think it's healthy. Her face is beautiful. Beautiful. But I don't think it's healthy in the long run."

Tiegs couldn't be more wrong. A study published in the International Journal of Obesity found that body mass index (BMI) is not a reliable way to measure someone's health.

Who made Cheryl Tiegs the expert on the way women should look?! She won the genetic lottery. A dangerously thin model does not represent health, wellness, or how most women in America look. It's because of women like her and the beauty industry that we have these unattainable standards for women.

And, I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of Dr. Oz's mouth. He's a snake oil salesman! This is the doctor that was brought before Congress to testify that the weight loss products he touts on his show are actually weight loss scams. Senator Claire McCaskill who grilled Dr. Oz became my new hero.

Just because you're considered "plus size" doesn't mean that you're unhealthy. These are old and outdated ideas that we have about health. I'm not plus size, I'm considered "normal" but not for Los Angeles, the shallow capital of the world, I'm considered obese.

I can tell you that at my current weight I am healthy and happy. I don't diet but I eat organic and exercise. According to Cheryl Tiegs I would be considered unhealthy when I'm actually in the best health of my life.

Since Tieg's idiotic comment she has apologized on Twitter: "My sincere apologies to everyone I have hurt. I truly just want everyone to be healthy & happy."  It seems like a backhanded apology to me. She is still equating being thin to being healthy and happy. But what do you expect from a woman who bases her happiness on being pretty and thin. Happiness as I have always said is an inside job.

I will leave you with a quote from Dr. Michelle May, R.D., founder of Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Programs and Training. "What Tieg tells us is that when we try to assess a person's health simply by looking at them, we're going to make major mistakes. You can't—and shouldn't—judge a woman's health by how she looks in a swimsuit. Case closed."