Coconut Macaroons With Chocolate Ganache

This recipe is courtesy of Molly Wizenberg

This recipe is courtesy of Molly Wizenberg. I made it for Passover and it was a big hit, over my Grandmother's sponge cake and the flourless chocolate cake that I also baked. Honestly, you can never go wrong with a Molly Wizenberg recipe. I go to a lot of food blogs and Molly's has by far the best recipes. I make it my mission to put the best recipes that are tested out in my own kitchen on my blog. Some are my own and some from other sources. Anway, enjoy this recipe it was a showstopper kind of desert.

Ingredients:

3 cups lightly packed sweetened shredded coconut

¾ cup sugar

¾ cup egg whites (from 5 large eggs)

1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

½ cup heavy cream

Directions:

1) Place the coconut, sugar and egg whites in a heavy 2-3 quart sauce-pan and stir well

2) Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture will look very creamy as it heats, and then will slowly get a bit drier, with individual flakes of coconut becoming discernable. Stop cooking when it no longer looks creamy but is still quite sticky and moist, not dry.

3) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

4) Scrape the mixture into a pie plate or small baking sheet, spread it out a bit to allow it to cool quickly, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.

5) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

6) Using your hands or a small spring loaded ice cream scooper, firmly pack the coconut mixture into small domes and space them evenly on the baking sheet.

7) Bake the macaroons until evenly golden, about 30 minutes.

8) Cool completely on the pan on a wire rack then remove the macaroons from the baking sheet and place them on the rack. Set the rack over the baking sheet.

9) Put the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until it is hot and steaming. Do not allow to boil.

10) Remove the pan from the heat, pour the cream over the chocolate. Let sit for a minute, then stir until smooth.

11) Spoon the warm ganache generously over the macaroons.

12) Refrigerate the macaroons on the rack until the ganache sets, at least two hours. Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate or freeze.

(yields 14-18 macaroons)