Chapter 20: A Night like Christmas Eve Always Ends

A/N: Next Chapter up! Mischievous Mama Kayne mode activated. 29 comments! This one got up way later because the 10th comment came in while I was on the road trip, and then my cat passed away, and then I broke my wrist looking for her before she died.

When Kayne woke up, the sun was bursting through the tree line and on to her face. Seven am, her mind instantly thought while looking at the sun. She rolls over and stretches before pressing one of her many pillows into her face. She lets her self sink into the big mattress to rest a little more.

Sooner or later the scent of pancakes came wafting in from under her door. It started out soft and tempting. Fifteen more minutes and it became enough to pull her out of bed. She sluggishly throws her thick blankets off of her to shimmy out of bed.

Kayne stretches before groaning and heading over to her dresser. She looks through her dresser quickly before grabbing a big hoodie out.

 “I think Alfred maybe doing this on purpose.” She mutters out loud as she pulls Bruce’s black Nike hoodie on. It was huge on her but a few rolls of the sleeves fixed that. She buries her arms in the pouch and shuffles out of her room.

She walks down the hall and straight down the stairs. Following the scent of food, she wanders into the kitchen.

Alfred stood by the stove with a griddle and a plate stacked full of pancakes. On the actual stove are some pans holding sizzling bacon and scrambled eggs. “Good morning Ms. Kayne, and welcome to your first day back breakfast.” Alfred greets with a smile. He pats her head before grabbing a kitchen towel.

He opens the oven and pulls out a tray of muffins. Kayne squeals, and reaches for a muffin. Alfred slaps at her hand in a scolding manner. “Not until the table is set, and Master Bruce is here.” He tells her, shaking his finger at her.

She groans and opens the utensil drawer to pull out the forks and knives. She grabs napkins and heads off to the dining room. With a small laugh, she pulls a kidnapped muffin out of her pouch and pops it in her mouth like an apple.

She walks around the table placing the correct thing in the correct place until three chairs were set. Kayne finally takes a bite out of the muffin. When she pulls the muffin away from her mouth and hand reaches out to snatch away her muffin. Her fingers rise up and push down harshly into the inner elbow of the arm in a pinch-like grip.

The arm collapses in as she shoves herself back into the chest of the thief to push them back into the table while her left hand reaches up to take the muffin back. “Kayne!” Bruce growls, his back slamming into the table. “Yes?” She asks innocently, spinning away from him as she takes a bite from her muffin.

Bruce sticks his foot out to curl around the leg she was balancing on to spin and trips her. His arm wraps around her waist as she falls while his other one steals the muffin back from her outstretched hand. Kayne squeaks and thrusts her hand up to block the muffin from his mouth. Bruce glances down at her in slight amusement before dropping her.

She falls to the ground with a thump as Bruce takes a bite from the muffin. With a huff, she sweeps her leg around to pull his legs out from underneath him.

She quickly jumps on him as soon as he hits the floor to reach for the muffin. She grabs it before sitting on Bruce’s chest. She blows a raspberry at him before finishing the muffin.

 Someone clearing their throat get Kayne’s attention at the doorway. Her head snaps up with a sheepish smile after swallowing the last of the muffin. Alfred stood in the doorway with a reprimanding look.

“Please try and not to act like a pack of wolves after the bone. We have plenty more muffins that I specifically told you not to eat until the food was served.” Alfred orders before going back into the kitchen.