Chapter 3: Things are Changing*

Kaine had skipped dinner. When Bruce had gone to retrieve her for dinner, there was no response at the door. He had gently tested the door knob and found it locked again. Bruce didn't push. He wouldn't push. She was setting her boundaries that made her feel safe. Besides, it meant he could have dinner alone with Alfred and finally grill him properly on how Wayne Manor gained another ward under its care.

When he had joined Alfred down the stairs, in the kitchen, he told Alfred there was no need for an extra plate to join the table.

Alfred didn't seem surprised but he continued to make the third plate and place it under covers to take upstairs to her for when she was ready to eat. Alfred set aside her plate as Bruce grabbed both Alfred and his plate to take to the dining room. Just in case she came down, Alfred had insisted.

Bruce only waited until the swinging door let Alfred in before he cleared his throat. Alfred glanced up at him expectantly. Bruce stared at him, and the older man understood exactly what Bruce was prompting for a conversation. Alfred knew he had been caught.

"I started the paperwork a little under six months ago. I did try to tell you, Master Bruce." Alfred begins, gesturing for Bruce to sit rather than stand guard over his dinner chair. Once they both are seated in front of their meals, Alfred continues, "You've been working yourself to the bone. You haven't stopped working since before The Joker made himself known. I was beginning to worry about you. But you weren't stopping to listen to little old me."

Alfred holds up a hand to Bruce when he furrows his brows to argue. "You weren't Bruce. There's no arguing it. The public eye hasn't seen you in over a year. I haven't had more than a passing conversation with you in over a year." Alfred tells him.

"A ferry full of criminals is on the loose, Alfred. I can't stop until they are-"

"All put back in Arkham. I'm fully aware of your crusade, Bruce. You've told me. I'm not stopping you from this mission. I'm simply worried that you aren't working yourself to death quite literally." Alfred responds, picking up his silverware and cutting into the steak that he had prepared.

Bruce watches Alfred for a brief pause before allowing himself to grab his own set of silverware as well. "What scared you into worrying?" Bruce gently asks. He knew this worry wasn't an overnight development. If six months of planning for him to have a child in his care was anything to go by, something must've been the final straw for Alfred.

Alfred takes a deep breath, resting his silverware on the plate, before looking up at Bruce with a pained expression. "The day I found you unconscious in your bloody car. I've patched you up more times than I feel like I should have to. I see you as the son I never could have. You know that. A father shouldn't have to worry after his child. Shouldn't have to bury them."

"You won't be-"

"How do you know?"

The dining room fills with a tense silence. Alfred picks up his silverware, and continues cutting his steak. Bruce sets his silverware down with his moment to think. His mind was racing. He knew it was hard for Alfred to watch him be The Batman. The older man had expressed it several times before. He didn't think it would cause him to worry this far.

"Alfred, I understand your worry. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like I don't care about my life or you. But what does this have to do with the child that's living and breathing upstairs that is now under my care?" Bruce asks, sitting back in his chair.

Alfred sighed, "I believe you know why. It would have done nothing for me to get you a dog. You need someone to bond with, care for, and give a home. Someone that gives you a reason to make it back alive. I do not doubt you care about my well being but you know I will continue on without you if you were... gone."