Chapter 26: Sorry

If anyone ever had 45 minutes to live and they didn't want it to go by fast, they should attend one of Mr. Field's history classes. It feels at least twice as long as any other class. I'm already tired and have a stack of homework to do tonight and it's only fourth period.

Just one more day until it's Friday. Then it's the weekend and I'll be happy and free. I look at the clock to see if it has changed at all since I last checked it, what seems like five minutes ago and it hasn't changed.

Great.

I can't take this anymore. It's time for a Code 47. I take out my phone and text the one person who could help me in this situation.

Me: Andy, we have a Code 47. You know what to do.

A Code 47 isn't exaclty rare but should only be used when absolutely necessary. Our school system is flawed which works in our favor at times like this. See, to leave school premises, your parent can either call to let the school release you or pick you up themselves.

Of course they check the number to verify it with school records so that means the must be made from my house phone or my mother's mobile cell. It's a good thing Andy and I have keys to each other's houses. As I sit here Andy will make her way to my place and call up the school imitating my mother, something we have both mastered for this exact purpose.

I look at the clock and the time has actually changed. By two minutes.

Sighing I try to focus on what the teacher is actually saying while I'm still here. It's only an eternity later that the intercom comes on.

"Sorry for the interruption Mr. Fields, do you have Olivia Santiago in class?"

He looks around the room and his eyes stop on me, I know he noticed my incredibly large smile, "Yes."

"Can you send her to the main office, she is signing out."

"Will do. Santiago, you are free to leave. Don't forget to read pages 538 to 576 tonight!"

I was already walking towards the door happy just happy to get out of there. And to think I would escape anymore homework if I called in Code 47. I was sadly mistaken.

I walk straight off of the campus knowing that there's really no need to show up at the main office. All they will tell me is that I'm free to leave anyways.

On my way to my car I send a quick thank you text to Andy. As I get in the drivers seat I begin to turn on my bluetooth and connect my phone to the car.

Pulling out of my parking spot I clearly announce to my car, "Call Blake."

"Mobile or Home?"

"Mobile."

"Calling Blake on Mobile."

I wait as I hear the dial tone and the phone picks up at the last second.

"Hey."

"Hey Diaz, are you free today? I got a Get Out of Jail free card from school so I figured we could hang."

I hear movement from his side of the phone, "Well actually, um."

I wait for his answer. He sounds weird, definitely not like his usual self. "Dude what's wrong?"

I hear him sigh, "You know how I told you my grandpa was sick?"

"Yeah."

Sniffling, he continues. "Well uh he-he... died last night."

My heart skipped a beat. I know how much his grandpa meant to him. I met him last week, we didn't stay long. Just long enough to hear some old stories and help him to bed. He was a sweet old man, pale and wrinkly like an old shirt. His face was pale but his eyes, despite his age, stayed vibrant green.