☢chapter eighteen

☢ chapter eighteen

Audra heard the steps of the people who were running after them. They were close, so they needed to move in deeper. That would be the opposite of the goal here though. They were supposed to be going home. And Peter he was going- well where was he going to go? What if he is Will's brother? How was she going to explain-

"Audra I think I know somewhere we can go where they won't find us." Peter says groggily, waking up from his nap.

"But if you know, who told you? I don't mean to be mean honey, just worried." Audra says, fixing his hair.

"When I- they had me once and I ran away. I found this secret place that no one goes. Maybe their scared." He shrugged at her, sitting up.

"Maybe kid. So I'll wake up my father and you'll take us there." She nods at him and he smiles.

Audra crawls over to her father who is sleeping peacefully. She lightly taps him on shoulder. She can see his hazel eyes widen. She smiles at him and starts telling him about where they're going.

"So, after this, where are we gonna go?" Audra asks her father.

"Maybe somewhere peaceful, beautiful, safe." He tells her, smiling at her, finally admiring his daughter.

That was last thing he said to her before the chaos began. As they started crawling to the place Peter described, they were bombarded. The teams were coming in from the entrance. Audra and Peter were doing well. Until she realized her father was lagging.

That's when she heard it, bones cracking. She saw the blood forming in the vent. She didn't want to look but she had to know. Did they kill her father? She turned so suddenly, she almost forgot what she was looking at. Her father, and a man's skull between his hands.

She was screaming for him to let go. If he let go, the guy would be alright, They'll be alright. But that didn't happen, it was far from what happened. Her father crushed the man's skull. He was gone, her father and the man.

She saw the look in his eyes. It wasn't him anymore, maybe it wasn't for a long time. Who knows what meds they'd been shooting him up with. But it was that same feeling she had. When she lost control in front of her friends. Slammed that lady into the van. That wasn't Audra back there.

At the rate her father was going, there was no going back. He was going through five men before she made the decision. She saw Martha there in the vent. Even she was confused. But Audra knew what she had to do. She had to lose him, again.

She pushed Peter further and started crawling faster, to the secret place. When they finally made it, Audra sighed. She let Peter down the vent first. As she was going to set herself down she felt a hand grab her. She looked up in horror. Her father, bloody hands, bloody everything, and most of all looking at her with kill in his eyes.

"Dad! Listen to me! I know it feels like everything is wrong and you need to fix it! But- just come back to me!" She screams, looking into his eyes, empty and ready to kill.

"Get out of my way you filthy scum." He sneers at her and pulls out a gun and places the barrel to her head.

"I'm your daughter! Audra! Dad! You are stronger than thi-" Audra gets interrupted by her father's breathing getting heavier.

"Audra, oh- Oh! God what did I- I do?" He asks her, looking at the blood all over him.

"Dad it's okay- you're gonna be fine, I went through this and you'll-" Audra gets cut off again but by something else this time. A bullet piercing her father's chest and grazing her shoulder.

Her father goes down instantly, but not before saying one last thing. "I love you Audra."

Audra was in the midst of anger and sadness when she pulled herself down from the vent and started running again with Peter. She was running with a little boy who may or may not be her friend's brother and with a bullet graze. She just witnessed her father get killed with her own eyes. This wasn't going to be something easy.