Chapter 21- Critics

Kim looks at me with a worried look. "What's wrong doctor?" She asked.

"It seems that Mr. Tedder has lost his voice and won't be able to speak for a few days." He answered. I pinched the bridge of my nose trying to calm myself down.

I felt Kim take my hand and squeezes it gently. I look at her and she smiles shyly. The doctor scribbles something on his notepad.

"He should drink plenty of water and tea to keep himself hydrated and he should stay on vocal rest for the next few days." He said as he tore out the paper and handed it to her.

He walks towards the door then stops. "Mr. Tedder should have a humidifier with him so that will help out with recovering." He said simply and then walks out.

Oh man how could I possibly forget about it?! I walk into my room in the in the back of the bus with Kim on my heels.

"Do you need any help?" She sweetly asks me.

I nodded. Ugh I hate losing my voice. It happened when we were touring in Europe and now it's happening again.

"Ryan!" She shouts grabbing my attention. I snapped my head back and mouthed "What?"

"I called Zach and I told him and told him that you lost your voice."

I nodded in acknowledgment. She turns and walks away. Can't wait to see what the critics say about this. I continued looking through my stuff until I finally find it. I grab the mask and place it over my nose and mouth and turned on the machine.

My phone goes off and I see a message from Zach.

"Hey man how are you feeling?"

"Not good man a little bummed that I can't do the concert. What was the crowd's reaction?

-R.T."

"Not good man, the fans were kinda bummed out. They all said to get well soon tho."

"That's so sweet of them. I mean that's why we have the best fans right?

-R.T."

"Yeah. Just make sure you get some rest alright?"

"Yeah, I'll see you later.

-R.T"

Kim's P.O.V

Ryan looks mad but then again I would be too if I had laryngitis and sing in front of thousands of people. I heard a knock on the door. I open it and see August at the door, she looks upset.

"Hey August what's wrong?"

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"Ryan had an overdose?"

"An overdose what? No! Ryan has laryngitis that's why he couldn't speak earlier."

"Oh thank god!" She said letting out a sigh of relief.

"Why? what's going on?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Wait you haven't seen the tweets?"

"No, August what the hell is going on?!"

"Look at the tweets!" She said handing me her phone.

"Oh my god." I said putting my hand up to my mouth.

Some of the tweets read:

"@rochesternybuzz sure I bet drugs are involved"

"@lacy_clark5 yes! the lead singer was pissed cause they only sold 1200 tickets so he got hammered"

"too sick to perform? more like too drunk #class #onerepublic"

"One Republic cancelled tonight at cmac because of illness or was it an overdose? Thanks for making us wait an hour!"

I couldn't believe my eyes. People who were supposedly "fans" claiming that Ryan was drunk or he overdosed. I felt my face start to go red.

"Kim? Are you alright?"

"Why the fuck would anybody say that about Ryan?! He would never let down his fans." I shouted as I paced the area back and forth. I walk back into our bedroom and checked on Ryan.

He was sound asleep with what looked like and oxygen mask over his face and it connected to the humidifier. I felt my heart sink down to my stomach.

Suddenly, I hear the guys walk into the bus. They looked really down.

"Hey guys."

"Hey Kim, how's Ryan?" Asked Zach.

"He's resting right now."

"Oh alright I'll see him later."

"Hey Zach have you seen twitter?"

"No why?"

"You guys might wanna see this." I said handing him August's phone. He scrolls through it and his eyes go wide.

"You have got to be kidding me." He said in a serious tone as he handed the phone to Brent.

"No. And I'm August by the way." She said shaking Zach's hand.

"Nice to meet you August." Said Zach as he and the guys introduced themselves. Eddie stares at her mesmerized.

As I turned on my heel to walk back inside the room to lay down, Ryan appears in front of me, making me jump.

"Oh my god Ryan you nearly gave me a heart attack." I said putting my heart to my chest.

He grabs a notepad and sharpie and scribbles something down then shows it to me:

"Wouldn't want that to happen."

I smiled and kissed him on the forehead.