Chapter 4- Potter Returns

"We're going to be staying with Potter?"

I couldn't believe what Mother was saying. Does that mean she expects Potter and I to get along? I doubt that will ever happen. He hates me, he never even looks at me without scowling.

Next thing I know I hear someone clear their throat at the door behind me. "Mrs. Malfoy? Malfoy? What are you doing here?"

"Well surely you found my note?" Mother asks as she stands to greet the raven haired boy.

"Note? Ermm I don't believe so? You see I was a little busy saving the wizarding world up until about 45 minutes ago. Pardon me for not receiving letters in that time," Potter said while looking at us as though we had four heads. I suppose we might look like that considering he had several cracks in each of his glasses lenses.

Here he was just finishing the war, and already boasting about it. Although he looked tired, and dirty, he talked as though he owned the place. I guess legally he did, but according to the family line it belonged to Mother.

I look at Potter with an impassive stare. I see him squirm and look around for the note Mother was talking about. Then it seems as though he gets an idea and checks his pocket. Finally, the idiot figures it out, and finds the note. He pulls it out and I look at it. It was about two pages, or more, and I can't help but wonder when the hell Mother had time to write that.

Was it while I almost burned to death in the Room of Requirement? How did she know that Potter wasn't going to actually die? Maybe she just wrote it and hoped for the best. I have so many questions for her, but I know I won't get the answers.

So I start to examine Potter. It's obvious he hasn't slept or eaten well in months. His hair was even more unruly than usual. He has streaks of dirt across his face, and you can't see his emerald eyes as well through the cracks in his glasses. His clothes are ripped and I can tell he is unusually thin. He is a bit scruffy and just looks a total mess. I suppose I did too before my shower, but he doesn't need to know that.

Finally, Potter finishes Mother's letter. He doesn't say anything and just looks at her. I can't help but feel that they are having a conversation through their stares, and I'm intruding on it.

Then out of no where, they both say, "Thank you."