Chapter 16: Strip the Mask

Bernice

After getting dressed for work I rushed to grab my keys, but they weren't in the bowl. I looked around trying to see if I laid them down anywhere. I always kept them here by the door. I went to the bedroom to look for them. I stood there sighing. "What are you looking for?" I could hear Dave's sleepy voice say.

"My keys. Have you seen them?"

"Yeah. I took your car to get the new paint job and rims you wanted. It should be done in a couple of weeks."

"Why didn't you tell me? How am I supposed to get to work?"

"Surprise!" He said in a sarcastic tone. "I got my BMW from mom's. You can use that."

"I thought you said you sold it after I got you the Porsche, Dave."

"I didn't say that. You said you think I should, but I didn't. Here." He said grabbing something off of the night stand extending it to me. He dropped keys into my hand.

"Okay. What color did you tell them to do my car?"

"Pink." He said closing his eyes laying back down.

"Pink?! You know I hate pink!"

He chuckled, "I'm just fucking with ya! You'll see when you get it back. Are you done? I'm trying to catch some z's."

I flicked his ear then kissed his cheek before leaving. I was driving to work kind of speeding because I'm kind of late. I've been avoiding going to the office because I was afraid Robb would show up. Even though I was late I decided to pull over and get coffee for everybody. After I got that I came out going to Dave's black BMW seven series, I specifically told him to sell. The maintenance on this car was ridiculous. I opened the passenger so I could put the coffee's in when an officer came up to me. "Ma'am you know you can't park there."

"I'm about to leave," I said going around to the driver's side getting in. I didn't have time for the nonsense. Then he decided to knock on the window. I sighed rolling it down. "Yes? I said I'm leaving."

"I'm going to have to write you a ticket."

"What for? You gave me a warning and I said I was going to move. I'm trying to leave right now."

"Ma'am-"

"Ma'am nothing! You know what? Give me the damn ticket!"

"Ma'am, calm down. This is why I'm giving you a ticket. The attitude."

"I have an attitude because I'm late to work, which I don't want to go to. I'm pregnant, my back hurts, it's getting cold, there's traffic, and you're in my face! Hurry up and write the ticket, so I can be on my way."

"Ma'am, I'm sorry you're having a bad morning but-" he said as he handed me the ticket. I snatched it not letting him finish rolling up the window. I put it in drive driving off. Can't stand them. Always quick to give someone a ticket. When I got to work I took the coffee's to the break room then went to my office stopping at my assistants desk.

"Sorry I'm late. Any calls?"

"No calls, but the VP of your department wants to talk to you." I sighed because I know the conversation is one I don't want to have. I went into my office putting my things down then going to his. He let me in and I sat across from him.