Chapter 70: Flower in my Heart, Bloom Again

Dave
Atlanta, GA
7 Years Later

I crawled across the carpet floor on my stomach trying to be as quiet as possible

I crawled across the carpet floor on my stomach trying to be as quiet as possible. I looked back at my sons seeing them doing the same thing. I fought back a laugh as Malachi did a dramatic roll across the floor. I watched as Bernice danced with our daughters as Lauryn Hill's song Doo Wop played loudly. They all sang off key into remotes and hair brushes while dancing.

Girls you know you'd better, watch out

Some guys, some guys are only about

That thing, that thing, that thing

I watched in amusement forgetting the mission at hand just taking it all in. Every last one of them is beautiful. Moments like these I realize how blessed I am. I smiled looking at Bernice rap her little heart out as if she's really that chick.

Girlfriend, let me break it down for you again
You know I only say it 'cause I'm truly genuine
Don't be a hardrock when you're really a gem
Babygirl, respect is just a minimum

We were about to ruin this whole entire moment though. I gave my boys the signal to get ready with a hand motion. I gave them a thumbs up then we started shooting the Nerf guns causing the girls to scream. When all of ours were finally empty I got up laughing as they were curled up in balls covering themselves up. "Why would you do that?!" Bernice yelled as I dapped a now 13 year old Kai who was laughing too.

"Y'all are supposed to be unpacking," I said looking at all of the boxes in the media room of our new house. After living in Jersey for years we finally moved to Atlanta because of Bernice's promotion at Def Jam.

"We were taking a break," Bernice said making an excuse as she still laid on the floor. I sat next to her looking at our kids.

I know I used to joke about getting her pregnant back to back but I wasn't serious. At least not this many, but somehow I was looking at 8 kids. Two years after Lotus we said we would try for one more in the hopes of a boy. We got a boy...and a girl. Another set of twins. Seven year old Sage and Ivy. Then our dumb asses came up with the bright idea we might as well make it even and try for another boy. Bam! Another set of twins. Zion and Eden who are five. At that point I wanted to give myself a vasectomy. We told ourselves that was it. Bernice even got her tubes tied. Clearly whoever did that shit didn't do it right because we ended up with Ren who is 4. That makes 4 boys and 4 girls.

I don't know who to blame. My weak pull out game or Bernice's fertile ass. Although we joke about it often I wouldn't change it. They're what makes life worth it. I looked at my phone checking the time seeing we had an hour before everybody came over for a little get together. "Can somebody help me up?" I said like a needy old man extending my hand. I could see Aurora who's now 11 slightly roll her eyes before grabbing a hold of one of my arms. When she struggled to pull me up Lotus grabbed onto my other arm. "Y'all are weak," I teased as I got up.