Chapter 31: Drowning Out the Noise

Dave
A Couple of Weeks Later

I laid in the bed asleep or at least attempting to

I laid in the bed asleep or at least attempting to. I rubbed my eyes opening them realizing what was waking me up. I could hear Aurora crying on the baby monitor. It was supposed to be Bernice's turn to get her, but when I looked over at her she had a pillow over her head blocking out the noise. I smacked my lips sitting up and snatching the pillow away. "I know you hear her crying," I said with attitude. She just groaned continuing to sleep.

Ever since we had Angelo's funeral she's been like this. I've been taking care of Aurora by myself. I said I would give her more time to grieve, but it's been weeks, almost a damn month. I don't even feel right leaving her alone with them because I know she's not going to do what she's supposed to so I moved right back in for the time being.

I got out of the bed going to the nursery picking Aurora up out of her crib. I tried to get her to stop crying as I walked back into the bedroom. I was hoping the crying being right there would wake Bernice's ass up. She just continued to lay there. She grabbed the pillow putting it back over her head. "Can you help me?!" I shouted patting Aurora's back.

"You can do it," I heard B's muffled voice under the pillow. And like that she stopped crying.

I looked at Aurora scrunching up my face. "Were you faking, mama?" She just yawned. I blew out air taking her back to the nursery. I sat in the rocking chair laying her on my chest then laying my head back as I rocked. I'ma just sleep here because I'm not sleeping with Bernice. I'ma mess around and get pissed then kick her ass off the bed. "Looks like it's a sleepover, baby girl." I said in a low voice looking down at her. I picked her up putting back in the crib. I sat back in the rocking chair closing my eyes.

The Next Morning

I walked into the nursery after leaving the kitchen flicking the light on walking over to the crib. "RoRo!" I cooed as I looked over the crib to see she was wide awake. I picked her up taking her to the dining room putting her in her swing as I saw my mom fixing breakfast while Malachi ate cereal. I bumped his little fist before going into the kitchen. "Good morning, ma."

"Good morning, son. Where's Bernice?"

"Still asleep," I said sighing as I got a bottle ready.

Most days since we buried Angelo Bernice stays in the bed, mostly sleeping. It's to the point I'm the one mostly taking care of Aurora with my mother's help. I don't mind, but now it's just getting hard. I get it's hard. It's hard for me too, but we still have another baby to take care of. It doesn't help Bernice won't talk to me. She rather confide in her friends, Jeremih or nobody at all.