Chapter 26

It was last night when Thomas injected himself with the griever singer. He had been going through the changing since. He was lucky because we didn't have many grief serums left. All day his screams have been haunting the Glade and it doesn't look like he'll be waking up anytime soon

As Alby is gone and Newt can't handle the pressure of being the leader, Gally put himself in charge. And the first thing he did was throw Thomas and Teresa in the slammer. I asked Minho why Gally didn't put me in the slammer and he said it was because everything started changing the moment those two showed up.

Now Me, Minho, Newt and Chuck are sitting outside of the slammer that Teresa and Thomas are in. I've been talking to Teresa about what happened last night. Who we lost and who survived, we lost about a quarter of us.

I was starting to get tired and was dosing off when I heard a deep gasp for air so I turned to see Thomas alert and awake. I was surprised, I expected him to be in the changing for a few more days – this is the shortest amount of time someone has gone through the changing.

"Hey there." Teresa said to Thomas, I wanted to laugh but it wasn't the most appropriate time.

I opened the slammer and jumped in to check Thomas over and to see if he was ok. Surprisingly he was fine, normal heartrate and he seemed fine.

"Are you ok?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I feel fine, it didn't even hurt but I still haven't remembered what I remembered during the changing yet." He replied.

Then Teresa hit him over the head and everyone chuckled at that.

"Is that better shank?" Teresa asked. It was weird hearing her use Glader slang and I made Chuck laugh even harder.

In an instant Thomas' expression changed from confused and happy to disappointment and anger.

"I didn't remember anything shucking useful. Just the things Lara has already remembered and a few memories of me in a class." He said while getting up and kicking the wall.

"Woah, calm down there shank, at least you tried and we're thankful for that." Newt piped up.

I still can't believe there was no clue as to the way out, not even one. How were we supposed to escape now? Just keep studying the maps? And who knows the doors might not close again tonight and we'll lose even more.

Then Gally appeared bossy people around as usual.

"I see Thomas is awake." Gally said.

"Nah, thanks captain obvious." I replied earning a glare from Gally and a look from Newt telling me to shut up.

"Well, Minho you're going in the maze." Gally said ignoring my previous statement.

"What! It's nearly lunch, I'll have hardly any time." Minho objected.

"Just check out the cliff and see if there's any sign of grievers and come back." Gally replied harshly.

Thomas piped up and said, "Can I go into the maze?" I gave him a look asking him if he was stupid, of course the person who hates him isn't going to let him into the maze.

"No, you and her are going to be banished." Gally said while pointing to Teresa.

"Over my dead body." I said.

"That can be arranged." Gally smirked.

"Technically Newt's still in charge so it's his decision." Chuck butted in. No one realises how smart he actually is and I'm glad he made that observation.

"Huh, your right Chuck, thanks. And I say that they will not be banished." Newt said proudly.

Minho was about to go into the maze when a huge argument started between Thomas and Newt against Gally.

I tried to listen to what they were saying but I couldn't focus and my hearing was all blurry – like yesterday.

I could only make out a few of the words they were saying and most importantly three words stuck out to me: Maze, Runner and Book.

That's when a pain shot through my temples and I crashed to the floor. I still couldn't focus properly but I could sense the presence of everyone around me. An even more agonising pain shot through my whole body and that's when it all clicked.

It all flashed by in an instant but I was having some serious déjà vu. Then everything just vanished, again like someone had just pressed an off switch. The pain stopped, the images stopped and I could hear properly again.

I stood up that second and was greeted by worried glances from everyone – including Gally.

"What happened L?" Newt asked while slowly approaching me.

"I know how to get out of here." I said and everyone gasped and the murmuring started.

Newt was able calm them down and asked me what I meant. I ran past him to my book collection in my room. I looked through all of the books I had and still didn't find what I was looking for. When I came out of the homestead everyone was giving me worried glances, thinking I had finally gone crazy but I knew what I was doing.

"Teresa show me the box that came up with you." I told Teresa. She hesitated at first but after I sent her a glare she went and got her box.

She showed me a box that was locked and said that she couldn't open it and didn't know what was in it.

I tried prying the box open and I was getting frustrated now so I put the box on the floor and stamped on it until it opened.

Finally I opened it and found what I was looking for. It was a book covered in brown paper. I held it up like a trophy and started saying how this was the key to our escape. I got even more weird glances and now I could see that I looked insane.

I tore off the brown paper and the front cover was showing – The Maze Runner. I smiled to myself and showed Newt. He looked amazed and hugged me but then he asked how that had the answers.

"This book is basically our lives but from when Thomas came up, it has how they got out so it will show us how we get out." I answered.

Everyone gasped in amazement and urged me to read it and hurry up. I wanted to take in every detail about it so I read it very carefully hoping it had the way out..............................................