Chapter 25

The start of the day wasn't that eventful, I went back to work while Teresa was trying out as a slicer. I had wished her luck but just before lunch I heard the scream and I knew that Winston had killed an animal.

A few minutes later she came in the room with tears in her eyes and an unreadable expression on her face. I couldn't help but laugh which earned me a glare but it was worth it. I knew that she wouldn't want to go back to the bloodhouse so I told her she could help me.

Alby had been given the all clear by Clint so he was free to go back to his leader duties. There was no one injured so all we had to do was tidy up. As we were tidying up I started to talk about the way out the boys had found.

"So, what do you think about Thomas and Minho finding a way out?"

"Huh? Thomas? Oh yeah." She replied while stuttering. I instantly knew what was going on with her.

"You like Thomas." I told her.

She blushed red and then said, "Yeah as a friend?"

"Nope, you like like him." I said. I didn't think it was possible but she blushed a deeper shade of red.

"Ok maybe I do." She admitted.

"I knew it!" I exclaimed.

She explained to me that she liked Thomas when they started talking in their heads. She blabbed on about Thomas and how he was perfect, she got lost in her own little world. I chuckled at this and it snapped her out of her trance.

Alby let Teresa work with me for the rest of the day. Thomas and Minho had come out of the maze saying that they had marked out where the grievers go and where we would fall to our death if we were to jump. But we couldn't even attempt to jump if we didn't have the code so Teresa and I finished work early and went to the map room.

There was already a few runners there including Thomas and Minho. We got all of the maps together and started to compare them with previous days. Nothing, we couldn't find anything. We had to be missing something and I bet when we find it, it will be obvious. I frustratedly threw the maps on the floor, it was no use spending any more time on it. We couldn't think straight now so we decided to go to the edge of the deadheads to have a chat.

We mainly talked about Thomas and Newt, how perfect they were. Gally was mentioned a few times and I told Teresa how he used to be nice. I felt down talking about it, I felt like a piece of me was taken away when Gally was stung. No one was left to protect me, I knew I had everyone else but Gally protected me the most and now he's gone.

We were interrupted by Chuck running to us out of breath. He started talking about how he was running away from Alby. Alby had been one of the few Chuck hadn't pranked yet and I'm surprised that he had the guts to do it – especially since Alby had just gone through the changing. Chuck had nicked a chicken from Winston. He put chicken food in Alby's pocket and the chicken started to peck him and wouldn't stop. I could imagine the look on Alby's face.

"At least he hasn't got us yet." I whispered to Teresa.

"I heard that." Chuck said.

"And Lara, I promise that I will get you. Even if it's the last thing I do. I will live long enough that you get pranked – I promise." Chuck carried on.

I felt a bit panicked, he must be planning something big for me. I just have to remind myself to keep a lookout all the time. We were laughing and joking for ages, until it started getting dark and that's when we heard the yells.