CHAPTER 15: Let's Get the Party Started!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 15: LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“Mom I told you, I’m fine… and I’m ready.”

It was the day of the prom and my Mom had booked a one-way ticket on the crazy train.  Not only had she started to scare me with her talks about how grown up I had become and just how proud she was of me, she also insisted on helping me dress, as if I couldn’t put the gown on myself. 

Earlier in the day she had shuttled me off to a hair and nail salon, with the intention of turning me into a Barbie doll.  Upon sitting in the salon’s chair, the hairdresser, wearing the grimmest look I had ever seen, asked in her raspy voice.

“Honey, do you ever condition.”

“Not if I can help it.”  I said to her with a grin, and she looked absolutely mortified.  Eventually the woman had poked and prodded my hair into the most beautiful curls, and even I had to admit that the woman was a complete genius.  The nails however, were horrendous. 

“Why am I even getting nails?” I wined to my mom as the “nail technician” began to scrape away the base of my nail beds. 

“Because, it’s your prom and I want you to see it, feel it and experience it just as you should.  This is a day that girls cherish and remember for the rest of their lives.  And I just want everything to be perfect for you honey… you deserve it.”

“Do you still remember your prom?”  I chided.

“Of course, you make as if I’m ancient or something.  I went with Matthew Hill, and he showed me a great time.”

“Okay Mom, that’s a bit too much information.”

“Oh come on, I didn’t mean it like that.” She said with a raised brow, and we both laughed. 

“But it’s really expensive Mom, it’s too much-”  My mom cut me off.

“That doesn’t mean anything today.”  And as I was about to argue again, she silenced me with a look that said, enough.  I nodded my head in agreement. 

“Well at least the bandage is off, and the stitches are out.”

“Yes, thank goodness.” 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -     

With one final glance in the mirror, I descended my stairs and made my way towards the kitchen where my mom was brewing some lavender tea.  As my mom looked up I saw realization hit her, and in that moment I knew exactly what she was thinking.  Everyday before then I had just been Rory, plain and simple old Rory.  I was never going to grow up, I was never going to leave her, I was still the Rory who needed to be tucked into bed at night, and comforted after a nightmare, the same child that begged to thrown into the air.  I knew what she was thinking; that the person she saw before her wasn’t her baby any longer.

         Tears started to fall slowly down her face, and she gently covered her mouth with her left hand.  I went to her with open arms, I knew how she felt, and I knew she thought I didn’t need her anymore.