CHAPTER 12: So Much for Secrets

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 12: SO MUCH FOR SECRETS

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The next day as Zander and I drove to school, we decided… okay mostly I decided, to keep our relationship a secret on our first day back at school as a “couple.”  My heart skipped a beat as I thought the word.  

“What about my arm?  And face?”  I asked.  

The stitches needed to be taken out in five days, so the bandage was out in the open for everyone to see.  

“You could tell them you got into a bar fight.”  He suggested, but looked crestfallen when I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Or you could tell them what you told your mom… an unsavory run-in with the ground while riding on a very dangerous path on your dirt bike.” 

“Dramatic much?”  I questioned, but he just shrugged his shoulders. 

“I think I'll just wear the jacket, no one will notice.”  I said.    

We pulled into the parking lot next to our group of friends, like every other day since we had gotten our licenses.  They were all sitting in and leaning against Dean’s truck.  The entire crew was there, the boys, Dean, Kade, Jesse and Dusty, and the girls, Olive, Avery and Sienna.

I looked over at Zander nervously.  

“You’ll be fine.”  He said soothingly.

“I hope you’re right, I don’t know how well I can lie to them though.”

Zander just smiled as he took hold of my hand.

“We could just tell them all you know, no charade necessary.”

“We’ll see, I really just want to ease into it.”

“That’s never really been our strong point.”  He said in a whisper as his face neared mine.    

I laughed as my door was suddenly pulled open and I released my hand from Zander’s before Dean could see.  

“Come on guys, first bell’s already rung.”  He said, pulling me out of the car.  

I looked back at Zander as Dean pulled me away, quirking my eyebrow at him.  This was strange, Dean was never in a rush to get to class.  Dean just looked back at me with a don't-ask-me expression on his face.  I waved at the rest of the crew, but Dean just dragged me along.    

Dean and I had first period together all the way on the other side of campus.  I looked back at Zander and wanted to give him a kiss, but I settled for a smile.  We’d have time for that later.

Dean pulled me along to our Honors English class, Dean might look like a bad boy biker, but in all honesty he was actually really smart and a really good kid.

“So I asked Olive to the prom.”  He said nonchalantly while still pulling me through the school.  I just stopped in my tracks and stared, my mouth, I’m sure, on the floor.  He kept trying to go forward, but I yanked my arm back, forcing him to turn around and look at me.

“…and what did she say?”  I asked slowly, attempting to keep a smile off my face.

Dean looked everywhere but at me.  He stared at the lockers in the hall, the red of his shoelaces.