CHAPTER 16: The Ice Queen

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 16: The Ice Queen

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It was like nothing that I had ever seen.  The busy fairies of our high school prom committee had decked out The Lake Country Club in the most remarkable fashion.  Silver balloons adorned the entrance and the entire space was lit in the softest orange hues of the candelabras.  It was remarkable.  The poster adorning the stage welcomed the seniors to their prom, their final hurrah.  I hadn’t even realized that the space mimicked a masquerade.

“So is this really a masquerade, because I’ve got no masks for us.”  I said to Zander as we moved towards the back of the hall. 

“It would be a shame for you to have one on in the first place.”

“What?  Why?  That’s what a masquerade is Zander, romance, intrigue, secrecy…” I said dramatically.  He laughed and grabbed my hand.

“Come on, let’s go mingle with the crowd… see how everybody’s doing.”

“Yeah, sounds good.”  I said, without any confidence. 

“What’s wrong?”  Zander questioned. 

“Nothing.”  I said too quickly.

“Out with it!” He demanded. 

“Okay, okay, it’s just that I don’t think anyone has ever seen me in a dress and high heels… well until tonight.  I’m just a little nervous.”

“You have nothing to be nervous about.  You are the most beautiful girl here, and as long as I’m with you, everything will be just fine.”

In that moment I believed him.  No matter what happened, no matter what came, as long as Zander was there for me, I would never lack for anything.  I felt his strength, his confidence and energy flowed through me, and it always had.  I never feared going fast on the track, never feared throwing a punch, or taking one, as long as he was there.  As I gripped his hand he tightened his a little more around my own and we made our way towards our friends.

 - - - - - - - - - -

“I’m seriously spiking the punch in the next five minutes if Ashley yells into that microphone one more time.”  Said Dean as we listened to Ashley Heart as she made an announcement about graduation on Friday.  I had always liked Ashley, but her usually loud voice was made excruciatingly cacophonous by the volume of the microphone in her hand. 

“Thank Jesus that’s over.”  Said Dean as took a swig from flask.

“Drinking… it’s barely nine?”  I remarked, as I looked Dean over. 

“It was necessary.”  He said in mock defense.

“It always is.”  I laughed and the rest of the group joined in.  Zander was right, everyone had loved the “new me,” well maybe not new, just sophisticated.  As Dean was about to make another wise remark, Ashley’s screeching reached a high point as she made her next announcement.

“Well, as everyone here knows, it’s time to announce our senior prom court.  Everybody gather round, gather round.”  

I heard Olive choking back laughter behind me and I had to struggle to keep my composure.  I understood that it was a masquerade, but Ashley sounded as if she were announcing the duke and duchess of a ball in the eighteenth century.