CHAPTER 20: Sunday Morning

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 20: SUNDAY MORNING

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside of the window, and the feel of the sun caressing my cheek.  I inhaled deeply and felt a muscular arm tighten itself around me.  I released my breath in a satisfied huff as I stretched and turned my body so that I was facing his sleeping form.  I stared at his perfect face and instantly I felt my face redden as I realized our state of undress.  I thought of everything that had happened last night, and early this morning and I felt my skin heat unwillingly.  My hand reached out of its own accord and caressed the scar above his brow, a smile pulled at the corner of his mouth, but he didn’t open his eyes so I leaned closer placing light kisses on his shoulder, collarbone, neck, cheek, and then I hovered slightly above his lips.  Without warning his eyes sprung open and he flipped me so that my body was under his.

            “Good morning.”  He said as I tangled my fingers through his amazingly thick dark hair. 

            “Same to you handsome.”  I responded as I kissed his lips lightly, and I heard his stomach grumble above me.

            “You want some breakfast?”  I laughed, and the beautiful smile that graced his face turned into a mischievous one.

            “Oh I intend on having my breakfast right here… and right now.”  He said and I stifled a giggle as I lost myself to the temptations that only his body could illicit.

 - - - - - 

            I awoke again a few hours later to the smell of bacon and eggs and the local radio playing a ridiculous love song.  I stretched across the sheets, smiling to myself knowing that I had loved and been loved as I never knew.  I sighed contentedly; everything in the world was perfect. 

            “Hey baby!” Zander said cheerfully as he walked into the room wearing nothing but his low-slung jeans and carrying our breakfast.  I had to admit; it was the most amazing sight I had ever seen. 

            “Hi.” I said as I leaned over and kissed him on the lips.  “What’s all this?”

            “This Ror is what I like to call breakfast in bed after the most amazing night of my life.” He smiled again and I felt my heart ache with an unparalleled happiness.  His hair was shaggy and thrown in every possible direction; I reached out and fluffed it around some more. 

            “I love you Rory Grey.” He said softly as he looked into my eyes.

            “I love you too.” I responded then grabbed a slice of bacon.

 - - - - - 

            The moment I stepped off the bike and saw my Mom and Dad standing in the garage talking to Uncle Jack and Aunt Dena, I knew something was wrong.  I heard Zander follow quickly behind me as my parents approached me with a frightening look in their eyes. 

            “What happened?” I questioned, as I felt Zander’s hand entwine with mine.

            “It’s your Grandmum… she had a heart attack.  We’re not really sure how she’s doing, only that she’s in stable conditions a of right now.  I’m leaving in three hours, and if you’d like-”

            “I’m going with you.” I interrupted my father. 

            “Me too.” Said my mother.

            “Alright, I’ll see to the arrangements.” My father said as he pulled out his phone and walked towards the tree line.  My Mom looked at Uncle Jack and Aunt Dena and began to discuss God only knows what.  I looked over at Zander and he pulled me into a giant hug.  We stayed that way for a while before he pulled away so he could look me in the eye.

            “So London huh?” He questioned.

            “Yeah, I guess.” I felt a tear roll down my cheek, but Zander wiped it away even before I could.

            “It’s been years since you’ve been back, and since you’ve seen your Grandmum.” He said in an understanding voice. 

            “I know, God this is insane.” I muttered thinking about the things that I needed to pack; the papers that I still had to send in to UCLA, the summer that I would now most likely spend in London, without Zander.

            “I’ll come with you if you want.” Zander said softly so that only I could hear.

            “No you can’t, you’ve three races in June, a qualifier in Montana in the beginning of July and you’ve got training in Cali until school starts in August, it’s what your sponsors expect from you, what I expected to do with you.  As much as I want you to come with me, I can’t take this away from you, this is going to decide whether or not you’ll make it into the X-Games or not, you’ve worked too hard for this.”

            “How can you say that, I never would’ve gotten this far without your help… without you.” He looked at me, wanting me to agree with him, willing me to let him come with me to London for the summer.

            “You need to be here, now.  You may never get this chance ever again, so I’m not going to be the one to take it from you.” He nodded then pulled me close as he kissed the top of my head.

 - - - - - 

            Standing at the entrance of the airport I watched as Zander unloaded my bags.  He pulled out the handles and rolled them towards me.  As he walked me through the check in I felt for some reason the most profound sense of loss and fear.  The last thing I wanted to do was let Zander go, he was all I wanted or needed, and yet here I was flying 5,000 miles away from him.  My heart literally ached within my chest, and I started to cry unwillingly. 

            “Baby, it’s okay, you’ll go visit your Grand and come back home, and everything will be just fine.  This isn’t forever Rory, just for now.”

            “I know, but this really sucks to be separated from you.”

            “Yeah, I’m gonna miss you too.” He said as he pulled me into his arms.  All to soon my parents called to me from across the check in line.  Zander could go no further.  I wrapped my arms around his neck and lightly kissed him on the lips, attempting to memorize the way they felt on mine, attempting to remember just the way I felt here and now, in the moment.  I finally pulled away and watched as my hands slipped away from his, he watched me from the other end of the terminal giving me a final nod as I turned away from him.