CHAPTER 17: All Good Things Come to an End

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 17: ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Like all good things, an aspect of my life was about to come to an end.  I looked out over my school one last time; I had come here as a teenager, and I had practically grown up with everyone of the kids that had gone to this school.  But I knew that this was the last time we’d all be together.  I wasn’t foolish enough to believe that we’d all keep in touch; the reality was that we’d all go our separate ways, we’d meet new people and continue on in our lives, slowly we would forget.  I sat on the cement bleachers that looked out over the track and the rest of the school, and thought about the path that lay ahead of me.  Little did I know then just how tough it would turn out to be?

            “Hey pretty lady.” I heard someone say from my left. 

            “Now what are you doing here.”  I said to Dean as he took a seat next to me and admired the view below us.

            “Didn’t see you in class, so I figured I’d come and find you.”  He said as I focused my attention back to the few people who had also skipped their class. 

            “What did you do, just ask for a bathroom break and disappear?”  I questioned. 

            “Funny enough, that’s exactly what I did.”  He laughed and shoved me in the shoulder.  A calm silence elapsed and we just sat and watched, soaking in the memory of our final day.

            “You know, I know that college is going to be fun and all, but I can’t help but think that I won’t be seeing you guys on the daily.”  He said, and I looked over at him.

            “Did Zander tell you about Cali?”  I asked.

            “Yeah, he did.”  Dean said as he looked out over the track.  “How come you didn’t say anything about your scholarship huh?  Afraid we’d think you’re a freak?”  He teased.

            “Nah, just thought I’d keep that to myself.  But I heard you got into UDub.” 

            “How is it that you know everything?”  He questioned.  I ignored his question and continued on.

            “I also heard that Olive got into UDub… and that you asked her out.”

            “Yeah, and to think it only took me five years.”  He said and I laughed aloud.

            “Oh trust me Dean, I know all about that.”

            “I’ll bet you do.” He said with a smirk.  When I glanced at him with a look that said and-what-the-hell-was-that-supposed-to-mean, he finally let up.

            “I guess I always and never suspected that anything would happen between you two.  I’m stoked for you two, but it’s crazy to think that I won’t be seeing you guy’s everyday, and that we won’t be riding together anymore.  But on the plus side, you two will be able to shack up in Cali.”  I scoffed.