·Nine·

··Michael··

I tapped Luke's shoulder the very next day. I had avoided him yesterday and so I had barely seen him. Today, I felt the urge to beat the shit out of him. So I did.
He turned around and instantly I punched him in the jaw. He groaned in pain holding his jaw as I threw another punch in his stomach sending him flying towards the ground.

"Michael what are you-"

"You prick!" I yell grabbing him by the shirt then ramming him into the brick wall of the school building. A small group of students had formed around us. I picked him up again as I held him by the shirt.

"Why'd you do it huh? Why'd you fuck my girlfriend?" I snarled as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

"She was hot." Luke shrugged grinning at me. I threw him against the wall and kicked him. I quickly scrambled across school grounds to avoid teachers seeing our fight. Well, me punching him.

I exited into the parking lot deciding to ditch school for today. It wasn't till later I squinted in the distance to see Daffodil checking her phone then jogging to school.

"Hey wait!" I called. She turned back as she paused looking at me then started sprinting in the opposite direction.

"DAFFODIL." I caught up to her in seconds as she frowned and looked down. "I just wanted to say sorry for you know, kissing you."
She shrugged and turned away. It wasn't till I saw her wrist. Bracelets and bracelets and bracelets...
I grabbed her wrist instantly as she gasped. I slid the bracelets up gently and cringed.

"Why...?" I mumbled to see tears pick her eyes instantly. I wished she could move her hair away from her face for once. She was silent. "Follow me." I muttered grabbing her hand and leading her to my car.

"No Michael leave. I'm fine." her voice was raspy as if she had been crying for days.

"I'll drive you home."

She froze in place and looked down. I wish I could look in her eyes and see her face.

"Okay."

"Where do you live?"

"Larkinwood."

"Hey that's where I live-"

"Why are you so happy? I just saw you beat the shit out of Luke out there. Why are you so nice to me? What happened to making fun of me everyday?"

I looked down in embarrassment. She was right. Everyday we made fun of her for no reason. Maybe it was because of the way she hid herself. But then something about her long blonde locks clicked in my head one day.

"You reminded me of someone...so where's your house?" I turned in the neighborhood.

"Right by yours."

I stopped in front of my house im confusion.

"Wait what-"

"What if I told you that someone I reminded you of was me?"

"What?"

"May I come inside your house?"

"Well sure but-"

"Okay." she unbuckled and let herself in through my window. I was starting to get an uneasy feeling. How did she find my room? By the time I made it in she had mumbled something about the bathroom and rushed in. I sighed and noticed she took her bag with her. Who takes their school bag in the bathroom?

"You doing homework in there?" I knocked and chuckled.

"Just give me a few." she whispered and I noticed the wierd feeling again. Like it was Daphne. I decided to walk over and see if she was home...doubted it though.

But instead of her curtains being shut tight and her windows closed. The window was wide open and I could see her room a mess.

"Hey Daffodil what are you-" I knocked once more.

"Give me 10 more minutes!"

"Are you like...what are you even doing?" I mumbled. She was not running the water or using the toilet. It seemed as if she was just standing in front of my mirror. I layed down on my bed face down and waited impatiently.
The door swung open.

"I borrowed your mom's highest heels if you don't mind."

My eyes grew glassy the minute I saw her. Daphne.

"Wha-how-"

"There is no Daphne.." she walked towards me. "I was neither tall nor in a different grade."

I stared speechless.

"I wore contacts to change the color of my eyes."

"I pinned my hair ALWAYS."

"You never understood the "joke" I played on you. I'm fake." she grabbed her backpack which I now realised was her makeup bag.

"If you need anything from Daffodil, I'll be right next door."

I felt like the dumbest kid alive. But also the most hurt and broken one. Well played Daffodil Greenly. I had bullied her the most. But she just played the biggest joke on me. And I felt like shit.