Aftermath//////

Once the questions were asked the police gave me a few minutes with my brother. He simply looked at me from across the table, “What the hell was you thinking?”

I shook my head, “Shut up Zeke. I mean really... what do you know?”

He glared at me, “I promised not to get angry, but I think I might have too.”

“Grow up, you know nothing. A little sniff of trouble and you run off to your best friend, you don’t care about me really.”

He looked shocked, “I’ve always cared.”

“You’ve never respected me, respected my wishes, never respected what I wanted.”

“What did you want?”

I sighed, “I wanted Mollie. But no, you... you thought better for her to go into care. I needed to finish school.”

“You do,” Zeke looked tired, he was tired and stressed.

I shrugged, “I wanted to honour mum’s memory. Now Mollie will never know about her real family.”

Zeke sighed and bit his lip, “Sometimes Heavenly, life is better this way. You can’t look after a baby. You can barely look after yourself.”

I laughed a little and rested my head on my hand, “You know where I’ve been lately? Don’t you remember? I’ve been with Mollie, I’ve been caring for her. I’ve done a better job than most teenager girls and I’m not even her mother.”

Zeke nodded, “You’re right, you’re not her mother. So stop acting like it.”

“What do you want from me?” I was serious now, I mean what does he want?

Zeke thought for a second and then gave me a weak smile, “Just come back to Dougie’s with me. He’s agreed to let you stay.”

I tilted my head to the side, “Zeke...”

He rudely butted in, “I’m sorry Heavenly, you have to. I won’t take no for an answer.”

I guess he wasn’t that mad then, I guess he was more happy to see me than anything. I followed him out to the waiting area. The leading police lady looked at me and ushered me into a private room.

“What will happen to Mollie?” I asked quietly. “I only wanted the best for her.”

“Heavenly, I know this is difficult.” She was softly spoken, “Mollie will be placed into care.”

I felt the tears form and fall.

“She will be well looked after. Unfortunately due to these recent circumstances you won’t be able to visit her.”