Chapter 3 - The Letter

Kath and I will go to the same school. She's a senior. Its not gonna be the same like my first week. Atleast there would be someone that I can talk to without hesitations and worries.

As expected, the senior guys would often try to get our attention. Kathryn is really a head turner.

It was our break. Kath and I are on the diner eating salad. Surprisingly, Nash approached us.

"Hi Sharlene!", Nash greeted.

"Hi! I'm Kath, her sister. Are you guys friends?", Kath asked with a huge smile on her face.

I didn't even get a chance to say Hi! back.

This is really a bad time for Nash. If I could only tell him to go away. But that would sound evil.

"No." , I refused

"Yes." , Nash agreed.

We both answered at the same time.

I can hear Kath giggles and its not a good sign. She'll start as if she's selling me.

"So you are his new friend. Do you want to come to our house? She'll throw a house party for her new friends in town!", Kath lied.

"What?! No! I'm not having any party for no reason. Don't believe her."

"Sure! When is it? I'll go", Nash said with teasing smile.

"Friday right after the class."

I feel like I wanted to disappear like a bubble. I'm blushing and my face feels so warm. Nash winked at me before he completely went away.

"I like him", Kath said.

"If you like him, why don't you marry him?", I sarcastically answered.

"Why would I marry him if he'll be your boyfriend?"

I can feel that Nash would be Kath's favorite subject for the week. And I'm right. Kath kept on asking about Nash even until bedtime.

"Hey! Nash really looks good. I bet you and him would make a perfect couple", says Kath while trying to picture us as a couple.

"Yeah right." Often times, I would just agree whenever she's like that, because if I don't, her imagination would really turn into something worse.

"I'm gonna tell mom that you'll be throwing a party on Friday."

"What?! Are you really really really serious about that?"

"Yes! I'm really really really serious."

"But I have no friends to invite in the first place."

"Don't worry. I already invited Nash."

Now, I am so worried. He's the only one who will come to our house? What if he thinks that I like him? What if he would tell the others that I like him even if I don't?

***

It's already Thursday. Only a day left and the house party is coming. As if you can call that a party. I call it an in-house ambush. The fact that we only have one visitor. What do you think mom would say? She would only think that Nash is my suitor. Oh geez! This idea keeps me wake at night.

I'm on my locker to get my things when Jairus approached me.

"Hey!"

"Oh hey! What's up?", I greeted back.

"I'm really having a hard time on our Science class, do you mind if I ask for your assistance?"

Jairus looked really shy when he asked me that favor.

"Why me? I mean, I'm not even talking in class. Why do you think I can actually help you on that?", I asked.

"I kinda sneak up on the test results on our quiz and I saw you got a perfect score. So I guess you're good at it.", he answered.

Jairus have these puppy eyes and its hard to say no.

"Sure. But can we do that in library or anywhere as long as my sister won't see us?"

He smiled and thanked me.

"Why won't you let your sister knows that you are mentoring me?"

"Don't ask. She's just...Anyway I have to go. "

As I walked away, I saw Kath waving.It was very unfortunate that Kath saw me talking to Jairus.

"He's cute!", Kath teased me.

"He's just asking direction", trying to ignore Kath.

I am so much thankful that she did not ask another question.

****

Friday morning, Kath was so excited about what she claims to be my first date. She's just too excited about it. Of course my mom stucked up her nose with the idea.

Kath drove the car to school with me. She's one hell of a driver, a drifter. I nearly left my soul on the road when she's driving.

I went to my locker and someone left a letter.

(See you later)

The hand writing was not familiar. "Nash would really put an effort on this?", I told myself.

I went to my classroom and hoping time would stop and jumps for tomorrow. I really don't like the idea about the so called party.

Kath won't be able to join me on break. She said she need to go with her own set of friends as she promised them. I spent it alone in the school garden.

It's already my last subject for the day and I'm sweating beans already. Jairus knew that something is going on with me.

"Hey Shar are you ok?", he asked.

"Yeah I'm good. My sister just planned something and I didn't like the idea so I'm pretty nervous about it".

"Do you mind if I ask?"

"No. Not really. Well, she asked Nash to come to our house right after our class for a supposedly party but Nash is the only one invited."

"You're bringing Nash with you at home?", he sounded worried.

"Yeah?! It was the bright idea of my sister".

Jairus ran immediately out of the room. That was wierd. Maybe he needs to go to the bathroom to puke about the idea? That's me exagerating.

The bell rang and I saw Nash outside waiting.

"Hey you're here?!", I greeted.

"Your sister just won't let me pass on this", he said smiling.

"Thanks for the letter."

For some reason I'm feeling awkward. His eyebrows just met each other.

"What letter?", Nash asked with confusion.

I showed him the letter I found tucked in my locker.

"This letter. Isn't it yours?"

"Nope. Not my handwriting."

I was embarrassed at that time but I can't stop thinking who wrote the letter. Or maybe it was placed on the wrong locker.

Kath saw me and Nash walking towards our car. We were three in the car. Kath was driving and Nash and me were on the back seat. Of course, Kath didn't let me ride on the front seat.

Finally, we're already home...