6. Run Away

~Time passed: undetermined~

I glanced at my black metal watch. It's nine twenty five pm. Ray and I have been on the run for months now. I don't know what the stupid quest is, but all we have been doing is

~Running
~Stealing
~Sleeping
~Eating
~Repeat

I can't even tell how long it's been! So far there is no demon world. All I'm doing is blindly following around a crazy person! Maybe I'm just not thinking straight I am pretty hungry. Ray and I did take care of this guy a while back. I can't believe the coward! He was holding an old lady at gun point yelling about her giving up her money. He deserved what he got. Me and Ray jumped him from behind as soon as I got the gun from him I put two in his chest. We made sure he died so there was no one to identify us...Well we didn't kill the lady but she thanked us. I didn't want to kill her, so we put our hoods up before confronting her. 

We gave most of the money back and all her jewelry. It would have been too suspicious to hawk it anyways. And we just kept the gun. Which wasn't too smart, but it would only become a problem if the police caught us. Ray is smart by running away like this. I can't leave I can't just quit, and take a bus home. We have very little money only enough for snacks and water. I'm stuck with her, but I'm not saying I would ever want to leave her. I just want to do something productive to our mission, Not just survive. I have a feeling Ray will tell me soon.

 I need to find a place to sleep. I crawl through a near by basement window. It was already unlocked so I slipped in, and then I help Ray down. Even if this is someone's basement there is plenty of places to hide in here. I took out some candy wrappers from my backpack and put them on the steps leading out of the basement. Its dark enough that if someone comes down they will step on them before turning on the lights, and we will hear them. Ray and me huddled close together. My right arm around her shoulders, and her left arm around my waist. 

We sat there leaned up against the wall under the stairs. It's hard to see down here in the basement. There are lots of boxes and cobwebs that's a good sign. That means whoever owns this building hasn't come down here in a while and probably won't anytime soon. 

In the morning we need to get some thicker coats our body heat isn't enough to keep each other warm anymore. As more and more snow starts to stick eventually we will die of hypothermia. I love this girl, and I would give my life to save her. I look down at Ray her head on my chest. She's so cute when she sleeps. Sometimes if I stare at her for too long I forget about being hungry, being cold, and even being in a dark dirty basements just to stay safe. I stroke her hair absently. If the morning we will check the up stairs to see if there is anything we need and then leave.

 I glance at my left hand where the bite mark is only a white scar now. It might be my eyes playing tricks on me but I swore that my veins weren't always this dark. I haven't given it much thought, but... What is Ray? She's obviously not human. She bit me, which poisoned me... I don't want to think about it...Because what if she was a demon? That would mean that I signed a contract with a demon... That would mean I'm stuck with a demon, and bound to her... 

Neither of us has gotten hurt too bad or anything but I did notice that when I got this cut on my arm I looked at Ray and I saw that without anything touching her the same cut appeared on her four arm as well. Does that mean that if she gets hurt, so do I? What if one of us dies? Does the other one die too? I gripped the revolver in my left hand keeping it on my lap out of Ray's immediate reach. I let the darkness of dreams consume my conscious mind.

~The next morning before sunrise~

I heard the noise of crinkling wrappers before I saw anything. I slowly stood up, motioning for Ray to be quiet. I stayed as close to the wall as possible. I had my revolver raised. As my eyes adjusted I went to the right around the stair case. I neared the bottom of the steps and I straighten my arms, aiming down the sight. Just five more feet I looked up as I turned and walked backwards keeping my eyes on the dark space farther up the stair case.