Chapter 14: GEM Disease

A week or two passed as we waited on something to change. We waited for a sign from the Dark Flame that the fighting would begin. Nothing came.

The people from our town were still gone, and there hadn't been another sign of Ben, Cindy, or anyone with the government.

It was just all of my friends together in our small town. We all tried to have fun, but the Dark Flame's looming presence kept us on edge, especially me. Every moment, I could feel the Dark Flame. She never went away. She was breathing down my neck using my body as her puppet. I couldn't escape it. As the days moved on, the worse she got.

Justin was an enigma to me. I couldn't understand him. One minute he was the close friend that I used to know. He would joke with us and join in our conversations, and the the next minute he would ignore me and seclude himself.

I knew it had to be because of what I did to him, but I just couldn't make myself talk to him about it. It was embarrassing for me to tell him.

Peter was oblivious to Justin's melancholy attitude and how it was affecting me. He was happy, and I couldn't bear to ruin his excitement.

Today, we were all eating in the Town Hall. Justin had baked us an elaborate breakfast.

"Justin, this is literally amazing." Adeline told him.

"It's not a big deal. I'm glad you are enjoying it though." He told her with a small smile.

I frowned, but I quickly recovered and grabbed Peter's hand from under the table. He looked at me confused, but his hand clasped around mine anyways.

"What do you guys want to do today?" Jenny asked us excitedly.

"I don't know Jen. I kind of want to just stay at home today. You all can do whatever you like though." I told her honestly.

"Yeah, I think I'll stay with you Sam. I need a break." He admitted.

I smiled before Dave whistled.

"We all know what that means." Troy joked wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"Shut up Troy." I laughed.

"I don't get it." Jenny told us confused.

In response, we laughed and Sebastian whispered an explanation.

Jenny's response matched my own pink face from the embarrassment.

"Anyways, I can make it snow if you guys want. A lot of us have never really had a good snow experience. I think it'd be kind of fun." Mandy told us all.

Everyone smiled excitedly.

"I'm so excited! I love the snow! It's been so long since I've seen it!" Sebastian told us all excitedly. I smiled at his contagious excitement.

"Yes! Snowball fights!" Troy and Dave yelled in synchronization.

I laughed softly.

I felt Peter tracing my palm with his thumb. I looked up at him and smiled.

I looked back at my friends and everyone looked happy except for Justin. He was looking directly at me with a look of sadness. I forced myself to look away. When everyone finished eating, Mandy went outside to start the snowfall.

"I'll be there in a few minutes Peter. I'm going to talk to Justin for a while." I told him quickly kissing his lips before turning to find my upset friend.

His pensive sadness was my fault. I caused his pain, and I had to stop it myself.

I called after him as he was walking out of the building.