Chapter 19: One Last Time

Weeks had passed, and my father slowly healed back to normal. Beck was feeling better, and everyone was seemingly themselves. Peter took me to Disney World which was the most exciting thing ever. I honestly had forgotten that the place existed, but it truly is one of the happiest places on Earth. When we made it back home, everyone looked so tired. We all tried not to think about our friends that were missing. It often just remained to be the elephant in the room.

We were all eating lunch together, and it was pretty much silent.

You could hear the utensils clinking against the table and plates. The sound of glasses tapping against the table filled the room.

"Why is everyone so quiet?" Troy asked confused.

We all shrugged. It seemed like we all had lost too much energy to be our normal, excited selves. We had lost so many of our friends. It hurt to think about the missing people and the empty chairs at our table.

"We are tired Troy. You should try it sometime." Adeline told him rolling her eyes.

"You're always tired." He told her with a frown.

"Can you two just stop bickering?" Beck snapped at them.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you mr. grumpy pants." Troy mumbled.

"I'm not grumpy." He spat angrily.

"Then what's wrong with you today?" Troy asked seemingly annoyed with him.

"That's enough Troy. Leave Beck alone." I told him.

Beck angrily stood up from where he was sitting.

"No, you want to know what's wrong with me? I just lost the only person that's actually important to me in life by fighting for something that doesn't even matter anymore. She's gone, and I'll never be able to get her back, and it wasn't worth it. Her life was worth so much more than this stupid drama. She gave her own life saving you. You were supposed to be the one that died." He yelled at Annie. Annie looked like she was on the verge of tears.

I stood up.

"You're not the only one who lost someone. Annie lost Colin too, and we all cared about Mandy and the others." I told him trying to calm him down while reprimanding him.

"I seem to be the only one upset about it." He mentioned.

"Everyone grieves in their own way." I told him.

"We shouldn't have to be grieving. We never should have agreed to help you. What were we thinking? Most of us are just teenagers. We are still kids. We never should have gotten involved in this." He yelled at me.

He was right. It wasn't fair. We were all just kids. We didn't deserve any of this.

"I get that you're upset Beck, but I didn't force anyone to stay. I wanted you all to leave actually. I remember you guys saying that you wanted to help." I reminded him.

"You didn't tell us how dangerous it would be. You didn't say that people could die." He argued.

"I am pretty sure that I did say that." I told him honestly.

"Why are we even still here? You're not in danger anymore, Sam. I never liked your father, and I'm sorry Justin, but I've never been a big fan of you either. I don't care what happens to either of you." He asked.

I noticed people looking around considering Beck's words.

"Justin is one of us. I don't care what you do Beck. You can leave if you want, but I'm going to fight to keep him safe." I told them all.