Chapter 20

I am so sorry I haven't updated since mid April. After finals I'll try to update more. Until that time though, I'm putting this story on hold. Sorry. Here's a quick chapter to hopefully tide you over for the month.

It was getting late, and Glo and I were in the kitchen cleaning, having shuffled Sue out after demanding she go to bed, having cooking dinner. We didn't move all that quickly, waiting to hear Seth and Leah finish with their nighttime routines. I was in the middle of carefully washing a plate when I finally heard Seth finish brushing his teeth and cleaned off all of the plates in ten seconds flat before running out, leaving Glo to finish what she was doing. I stopped in the doorway to Seth's room and leaned against the doorway, watching as he pulled on a teeshirt and smiling to myself as I waited for him to acknowledge me. I knew he could already smell me. Once he finished dressing, he turned and grinned, walking over to me. I straightened up from leaning against the doorframe as he wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me tightly to him. I hugged him back, burying my nose in the crook of his neck. I felt him rest his cheek against my temple and we stood there for a moment before I took a deep breath, taking in his scent to relax myself.

"Glo and I have to go hunting tonight. I'll stay until you're asleep." I told him quietly and I felt him nod. I smiled a little as he shuffled backwards, not releasing his hold on my waist as we made our way to the bed. When the back of his knees hit the edge of the bed, he fell back still clutching me to his chest, and when we hit the mattress I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up from my throat. I tried to roll off of him, but his grip on my waist tightened, keeping me on his chest. I looked up at him through my hair that had fallen into my face and grinned widely at him, and he beamed back. Gently, as if anything he did could really do any damage to me, he pushed my hair out of my face and loosened his grip from my waist just enough to pull me up and press his lips to mine. I smiled into the kiss, crawling up a little farther so he didn't have to lean his head down.

After a moment, I acknowledged his need for air and pulled away, laying my head down on his chest to listen to his steady heartbeat. He slowly began to trace his fingers up and down my spine and I smiled to myself as I started drawing small circles on his shoulder. Everything about him made me calm, and I heard his heartbeat even out and his breathing slow as he fell asleep with his arm wrapped securely around my waist. After a few minutes, I looked up to see him sleeping peacefully with an innocent look on his face. I never wanted that look to go away, but I also knew that as he grew up I wouldn't be able to shield him from everything awful in the world. He was still a child, but he was mine and I loved him. I loved him so much that it pained me, but I wouldn't have it any other way.