chapter twenty-three

"It's so quiet in here," I whispered, sitting beside Joe on the couch. After all the commotion of the New Years Eve party and the sadness of both Connor and Troye leaving to go back home, Joe and I decided that we needed a day to ourselves. Just us, alone. We were currently in his flat, watching TV.

"Why are you whispering?" He asked, matching my soft tone.

"Because it's quiet," I whispered, smiling. Joe rolled his eyes and then looked back at the TV, his eyes intently watching the screen. He looked at his phone and groaned, looking over at me.

"What?" I asked, carefully unsure of how I should react.

"It's just Twitter, my notifications have been crazier than usual."

"You realize that you could turn them off right?"

"Well then I don't get to see everything that's happening," he said simply, causing me to roll my eyes at him, copying his actions from before.

"What are the notifications about?" I asked, eyeing him carefully.

"Us," he said almost like it was the easiest thing in the world. To be honest, I was taken aback. I didn't realize that out of all things, he was getting notifications about us. "It's all good things. My viewers like you a lot."

"I'm glad to hear that," I said, a smile on my face. Joe looked over at me and smiled before pursing his lips into a thin line.

"I hope you know that if they were saying bad things about you, it still wouldn't effect how I feel about you, right?"

"Of course I know that, Joe."

"Good. I was just making sure," he said softly, before smiling down at his phone. I saw his thumb moving as he scrolled through the tweets, even replying to some.

One thing that I found crazy is how one person could make six million people so happy. Joe was just one person and the fact that he could make people so happy by simply liking their photos on Instagram or replying to their tweets on Twitter made me love him so much then I already did.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, his face suddenly close to mine. I bit my lip in hesitation before answering.

"You," I whispered as he let out a small laugh before leaning close to me. His eyes flickered down to my lips and just as they were about to touch, I pulled away, letting out an awkward laugh before opening my mouth to speak.

"I have to go to the bathroom."

"Alyssa," he whined, frowning slightly as I shrugged and got up from the couch. I walked towards the stairs and just as I was about to walk down the stairs, there was a sudden knock at the door. I glanced over at Joe, who was already looking at me.

"Who could it possibly be?" I heard Joe mutter before I actually walked down the stairs. I heard the sound of the door opening and then silence as I closed the bathroom door. I quickly did my business, washing my hands and then looking in the mirror, making sure that I was somewhat presentable in case the person at the door was still there.

Making sure that I had a happy expression on my face, I closed the door and walked up the stairs, carefully, making sure not to trip on my way up. I reached the top of the flight of the stairs and looked up.