chapter one

I looked at the door in front of me, signifying that this was where I was living for a little while. I had to admit being in Brighton was crazy considering that I would finally be able to see Alfie. We used to see each other a lot when we were younger, but then my parents moved to Canada because of a job offer when I was 15. The last time I saw Alfie, he introduced me to Zoë and that was about a year ago now.

I smiled at the thought that once I knocked on the door, I would finally get to see them. I quickly put a stray piece of my dark brown hair to the side of my face and knocked on the door lightly. Before I could even adjust myself, the door swung open to reveal a smiling Alfie on the other side.

"Alyssa!" He exclaimed as he pulled me into a hug.

"Alfie it's been so long!" I exclaimed as he pulled away and leaned down to grab the suitcases beside me. I heard him let out a groan as he grabbed my two suitcases. I let out a chuckle at his struggle and reached over to help him but he waved me off.

"I can do this!" He huffed as he walked up the stairs.

"NALA WAIT!" He yelled as a little black pug came charging at me. I smiled when she stopped in front of me, looking up at me with big beady eyes. I laughed and bent down to scratch Nala behind her ear.

"My lord Nala...you always get so excited," a voice to my right scolded Nala. I looked up only to see Zoë standing to my right with a look of shock on her face. She smiled widely and then pulled me into a big hug.

"I can't believe you're here right now!" Zoë squealed as she let go of me.

"Trust me Zoë, neither can I."

"I see that you've met Nala," Zoë said as I looked down the black pug that saw sitting down beside me, her tail wagging from excitement.

"Before I forget, I wanna show your room!"

"My room?" I echoed and looked at her confused, if I was being honest, I just thought that I would be sleeping on the couch or a mattress.

Zoë just nodded and then grabbed my hand and started to drag me up the stairs. As she brought me up the stairs, I took the time to appreciate how nice their flat was. It was decorated just right, not too much, but also not too little. As I admired the flat, I didn't notice that Alfie and Zoë were waiting patiently beside a door. I heard Zoë giggle when I looked up and raised my eyebrows.
Alfie opened the door and my mouth dropped open. It was beautiful yet simple. My two suitcases were at the side and in the middle of the room, there was a bed, with a desk near the window and a dresser with a floor to ceiling mirror to the right of the door. I quickly hugged both Alfie and Zoë, while grinning widely.

"I can't believe you guys did this all for me!" I exclaimed and looked at the two of them.

"Alyssa, you're Alfie's cousin and you're like family to me...of course we would do this!" Zoë laughed.

Just as the words escaped her mouth, her phone buzzed and she pulled it out. Alfie and I looked at her confused, when she started saying incoherent words under her breath. She looked up at me apologetically.

"We were supposed to meet Joe and Caspar at Winter Wonderland, but I'll just call him and tell him we're not coming."

"If you guys are worried about me, I'm fine...the jet lag hasn't hit me yet." I said quickly as Alfie shared a glance with Zoë. "Plus Joe's your brother, right? I want to meet the famous Joe Sugg."