chapter thirty-three

"Alyssa, say something please," Troye pleaded, after a few minutes of silence between us. As soon as the words spilled from his mouth, I sat there in complete shock, unable to comprehend what he had just said.

"You want me to move to Australia?"

"Yes."

"But Joe-"

"I know, Alyssa and that's why I need you to think about it really hard."

"I can't just pick up and leave him, Troye. What about Alfie and Zoë too?"

"I'm not asking you to pick up and leave, I'm asking you to think about it."

"And then what would happen if I say yes?"

"Then, I would talk to my manager and figure out all of the technical things, like getting you a temporary visa and all of that."

"How long do I have to think about it?"

"April 23rd, that's when I leave the UK," he said quietly, biting his lip nervously. "God, why do I feel horrible?"

"Hey, you don't have to feel bad. You're giving me an opportunity and now it's all up to me."

"I just dropped a bomb on you, Alyssa. You already have so much on your plate and I wish that I could've told you earlier but if we want to get you settled in by the end of the summer then I needed to tell you now."

I nodded in understanding before looking at the time realizing that it was about time that we ended the call.

"Listen, I'll think about it but right now, I need to go."

"Wait, before you go, promise me one thing?" He asked, hope glittering in his eyes.

"What?"

"Promise me that this won't affect our friendship."

"It won't, Troye," I said a little too harshly, before we both said our goodbyes. As soon as the call ended, I shut my laptop and closed my eyes. My mind was replaying the entire conversation, from every word to every single facial expression. The idea itself, was something that I couldn't get out of my head.

For once in my life, someone believed in what I could do and I just I couldn't shrug that feeling off like it was nothing. It made me feel better than ever and by the time I opened my eyes, my brain was already pointing me towards Australia.

And then there was my heart.

My heart was latched onto Joe. He was the one that had stuck by my side through think and thin and I couldn't just leave him like that, not when it would only result in heartbreak for both of us.

I'm not asking you to pick up and leave, I'm asking you to think about it. Troye's words were a constant reminder now, one that I needed to listen to.

I pushed the thought away, grabbing my crutches from beside my bed and making my way towards the door. I looked back at my room once before I opened the door and shut it behind me only to look up and see Joe in front of me.

"I was just about to check up on you," he said softly, as I forced a smile on my face. "What happened with Troye?"

I thought for a moment before shaking my head in disbelief for a moment, the same believable smile on my face. "He's just having boy problems. He was embarrassed to say anything in front of you."