chapter forty-three

"Alife, I need to talk to you about something," I called from my place on the couch as he rushed down the stairs.

"Alyssa, I really would love to talk but right now I really need to go. I'm going to be late for this meeting."

"Okay."

"What are your plans for today?"

"Well I'll be gone when you get back. I'm going to London."

"Do I need to know why?"

"Just lunch with Marcus," I lied quickly, although I was seeing Marcus today. I just wasn't having lunch with him.

"Have fun, we'll talk when we're both home."

"Yeah, okay."

"Bye."

I looked back at the door as I lifted my hand to wave to him but all I saw was the door closing behind him in return. Sighing to myself, I stood up and grabbed my phone from the table. I held it in my hands for a second before I clicked the home button only to see that the uber I ordered about ten minutes ago was already here. I looked around the house, making sure that everything was in order before I walked to the front door, slipped on my shoes and went outside, making sure to lock the door behind me.

"Hi. Where to?"

"The train station. Thank you," my reply was curt as I slipped into the seat and buckled my seatbelt. I tucked a stray piece of hair under my ear as I looked down at my phone, my fingers dancing across the screen as I texted Marcus.

Me: Hey, I just wanted to make sure that we're still on for today?

His reply was almost instant and frankly I was slightly surprised.

Marcus: Yeah of course! Do you still need a ride to the café or should I come and pick you up afterwards?

Me: I'll just get an uber to the café.

Marcus: Oh don't be ridiculous! I'll come and pick you up. See you soon, Alyssa.

I smiled to myself and settled back into my seat, trying to enjoy my ride the best I possible could without the doubts of what I was about to do clawing in the back of my mind.

+

"You're awfully quiet," I commented as Marcus started driving towards our destination.

"I have a reason to be," he whispered, his face slightly paler than when I had looked at him just a few moments ago.

"Is there something going on that I'm not aware of?"

"No, Alyssa," he said quickly, making me suspicious. I raised my eyebrow inquisitively and heard him sigh. "I just need to focus on driving."

"Who are you and what happened to the Marcus Butler that I knew?"

"I'm sorry. It just long distance really sucks."

"Oh," I whispered softly, suddenly aware that he was talking about his own relationship. For a few long minutes that frankly seemed like forever, we stayed quiet. When he finally spoke up again, he asked me a question that seemed completely irrelevant.