chapter thirteen

*WARNING THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SCENES OF MILD VIOLENCE*

+

To say that I wasn't scared at all was a complete understatement. As soon as I read the text, I felt my heart quicken as I shoved my phone in my pocket and trailed behind Joe, thoughts running through my mind.

Who the hell is texting me?

What do they want?

Should I block them?

Yes.

I pulled my phone out once again, as my finger hovered over the block caller button. I pressed it quickly and then pressed the button to confirm my actions. After shoving it in my pocket for the last time, I quickened my pace, catching up to Joe and Caspar.

"Is everything okay?" Joe asked once again as I approached him and Caspar.

"Yeah I'm fine."

"You look a little pale," he said in a worried tone.

"I'm fine," I repeated as he nodded, obviously not believing me. I stayed quiet and didn't say anything, for a few minutes until he spoke up again.

"You don't have to tell me what happened back there, but just know that I'm worried about you, that I care...that there's someone that cares."

I looked up at him and in that moment I wanted to grab him, hold him tight and tell me not to let me go. Just the fact alone that he cared, killed me.

He cares about me.

But the sound of Caspar's voice, made me snap out of my daze.

"We're here."

Just as the words, escaped his mouth my phone vibrated in my pocket once again making me freeze. I decided to ignore it, hoping that it was just a different notification and one that wasn't going to scare the shit out of me.

I looked at the building in front of me as the sun set. The red letters that said Nando's seemed to glow brighter as the sun went down ever so slowly. Caspar opened the door, keeping it open for Joe and I as we slipped inside.

"Hi, table for three please." Caspar said to the girl at the front. She smiled and looked around before her eyes stopped at a booth in the corner.

"Follow me," she said quickly, grabbing three menus. She started to walk towards the booth and Caspar, Joe and I followed. I couldn't help but notice a boy just beside our booth. Dark brown quiffed hair with sunglasses on.

Why the hell was he wearing sunglasses in the winter?

I noticed his gaze shift from the front to me as I took of my jacket, placing it on the hook beside the booth and grabbing my phone from the inside pocket. I slid into the inside of the booth, my gaze never leaving his as Joe slid in on the other side with Caspar on the outside of the booth. The boy finally broke his gaze away from me, choosing to concentrate on his menu. I stared at him for a while longer, wondering why he looked somewhat familiar, before I set my gaze on the menu. I placed my phone on the table and looked at the menu once more. After I settled on getting a sandwich and fries, a waitress approached our booth, a smile on her face.

"What can I get for you?" She said, looking at me.

"Can I have a peri-peri chicken sandwich with fries and some ginger ale, please?"