chapter forty-two

"You've been uncharacteristically quiet all evening," Marcus commented as he slid into the spot beside me quickly. I looked up at him, slightly amused before scoffing and looking down at the menu in front of me.

"I'm surprised you noticed," I admitted softly, hearing the chairs in front of me being pulled out.

"Why is that?"

"Well for one, you've been on that phone of yours all night and two, I can see you still looking at it from the corner of my eye."

"I haven't been on it all night," he threw up his hands in protest, as I glared at him subtly. He saw the look on my face and he smiled quickly. "Okay, maybe I have been on it all night but I swear I have a good reason."

"I would love to hear this reason," Caspar interjected from beside Alfie who was in front of me. I looked up at him, slightly amused at his sudden interest. He only stared back at me before shifting his gaze towards Marcus, encouraging him to go on.

"Well, I met this girl-" he started off but he was cut off by the surprised gasps of both Caspar and I.

"Alyssa, am I hearing this right?"

"I believe you are, Caspar," I replied, unable to hide my smile.

"Oh, stop asking so surprised you two. Marcus is an attractive guy," Troye suddenly said from beside me, causing everyone to look at him. His eyes went wide and he smiled sheepishly. "That's just my opinion."

"Hmm," I heard Alfie hum and look down at his menu, his eyes scanning the pages intently.

"I think what both Alyssa and Caspar meant to say is that they're happy for you," Joe surprisingly said. I looked up at him quickly, only to see that his eyes were on me.

"What's her name?" I asked softly, trying to avoid Joe's gaze.

"Stefanie," his voice was filled with so much love and it reminded me of the way I used to say his name. I nodded quickly, slightly distracted before turning towards Troye.

"You killed it tonight," I said a little bit too loudly and I heard him wince softly before smiling.

"I'm glad you-" he started but the smile on his face slowly diminished. His eyes widened slightly, making me wonder what he was looking at. I followed his gaze and soon, my own mouth was open wide.

"Is that Cole?" Marcus asked me, and I simply nodded quickly, swallowing hard. Although he dyed his hair blonde, I could recognize his face anywhere. I watched as his eyes scanned the restaurant quickly, before settling on me and instead of smiling--which was what I expected--he looked shocked. I looked at Alfie quickly only to see that he was already watching me intently, probably trying to figure out what I was going to do next.

"I'm going over there whether you like it or not."

"I can't stop you, can I?" Alfie asked softly, his facial expression filled with with worry. I simply shook my head and stood up slowly, before pushing on my chair and passing Alfie. he grabbed my hand quickly, making me look down at him as he looked up at me.

"If I see him do anything, I'm coming over there, okay?"

"I won't stop you."

Without another word, he let me go and I looked up towards the entrance of the restaurant. Taking a deep breath, I began walking towards Cole while doubts floated through my mind.

"You changed your hair," I commented, watching as he turned around quickly and his eyes widened, almost as if he were still shocked to see me.