Chapter 72

(John’s POV: )

I was sitting in the den looking over the papers the next day. The Daily Express had somehow obtained the security image with the message clear on the glass, and had run it on its front page with the headline: “Crime of the Century?” The rest of the text read:

“Questions are being asked in parliament as to how the Tower of London, Pentonville Prison and the Bank of England were all broken into at the same time by the same man – James Moriarty. // There are unconfirmed reports that Scotland Yard’s favourite sleuth Mr Sherlock Holmes has been called in to help the team piece together the most audacious crime ... Turn to page 5”.

A few days later, a new front page headline from the Daily Mail read:

“Jewel Thief on trial at Bailey” and the first few paragraphs read: “Crown Jewel thief is to be tried at the Old Bailey and Sherlock Holmes is named as a witness for the prosecution. // Master criminal Moriarty taunted Holmes with his graffitied GET SHERLOCK at the scene of the crime. The crime is attracting huge attention internationally too. // Irish born Moriarty – of no fixed abode, seems to be taunting the master detective. // Boffin Holmes, accompanied by confirmed bachelor John Watson – refused to comment. // Shadow White not seen since incident. // Crowds gathered yesterday for what is being described as the trial of the century.” The Guardian lead with the headline:  “Amateur detective to be called as expert witness” and the strapline, “Scotland Yard calls upon ‘nation’s favourite detective’ in Moriarty trial”. The picture was of Sherlock putting on the deerstalker hat at the Scotland Yard press conference and the text read: “In a twist worthy of a Conan Doyle novella, Mr. Sherlock Holmes was yesterday revealed to be an expert witness at the trial of ‘Jim’ Moriarty. Described by many commentators as the trial of the century, the case has all the ingredients of a block buster film. The royal family, Scotland yard [sic], the world of finance and greed, the ‘underclass’ of prisoners out to wreak [sic] revenge as they enjoy their own fifteen minutes of freedom. The case is riddled with irony and intrigue but perhaps reflects a deeper malaise that seems to be at the heart of a society. // Mr Holmes, a man of few words, declined to comment when asked his involvement in the case. It is understood that a woefully depleted Scotland ...” I didn’t want to read any more.

(221b, a while later, John’s POV: )

I was standing in front of the mirror in the living room. I was wearing a suit, and finished tying my tie before putting my jacket on. Near the sofa, Sherlock was buttoning up his own jacket as Alice pulled on her suit coat and glared at her dress skirt. She looked nice, but she was not happy. Sherlock lead the way downstairs and went to the front door, then stopped and turned to the side to allow Alice and I to pass him and reach out towards the door.

“Ready?” I asked them.

“Yes.” Sherlock replied. Alice nodded as she put in her earbuds and pressed play on her music. Bracing myself, I opened the door. Police officers were trying to hold back the large crowd of journalists who immediately started photographing us and calling out questions as the police cleared the way and allowed us through to the waiting police car. We got into the back and the car pulled away and raced off with its sirens wailing. Alice closed her eyes and leaned against the door, trying to drown her thoughts in her music. I felt bad for her. Moriarty had scarred her worse than he had me. I don’t know why it was worse than me, but it was. She despised the man. Also, she wasn’t used to all the press attention. One day some reporters had cornered her in an alley demanding an interview and she reacted badly. Very badly. That paper blacklisted her.