Chapter 7 - What Happens When The Author Is Angry At One Of The Characters

Jane's POV

~MEMORY~

I walked through the long hallways of Bryant Middle School, my journal clutched to my chest.

It was lunch time, and there was this girl that looked so lonely, so...isolated.  I wanted to talk with her.

I walked into the lunch room, wincing slightly at the loud chatter of the other 7th graders and a few 8th graders.

I looked around for her and saw her sitting alone at the end of a table away from everyone else.

Her dirty blonde hair was pulled back by a purple scrunchie, and she was reading and eating.  Her glasses sat beside her food.  She was also an 8th grader.

I walked over and sat across from her.

She looked up and stared at me for a bit.

I could tell that she was judging me.  I don't blame her.  She's probably the type who is reluctant to make friends.

She nodded at me and returned to her book.

I waited for her to finish that particular chapter before speaking.

"Hi!"

She looked up from her book and smiled.  "Hey."

She glanced back down at her book before dog-earring the page and closing the book.

"I'm Jane.  What's your name?"

Her eyes showed slight shock.

"I-I'm Becca."

I smiled.  "Oh, yeah!  I remember you!  We were in Mrs. Curlin's choir class!"

"...Oh, yeah!  You were on the back row with Ant and Joy."  She replied, a hint of a smile on her face.

I looked around a bit.  "Do you have any friends?"

I looked back at her to see her grimacing.  "N-No....I'm...not really liked around here.  I've got a bad reputation with a lot of people."

"How so?"

"I...was a really bad kid in elementary.  I was mean."

"Are you mean now?"

She frowned.  "I try not to be.  Whenever I try to make friends...I find out that they're friends with those people who I have a bad reputation with.  Not to mention my personality isn't exactly...liked."

The lunch bell rang.

"Can I sit with you tomorrow, Becca?"

She looked at me like I was a present she'd wanted all her life.  "I-If you want to!"

I smiled at her and left, walking to my next class.

~~~~

The next day, I sat with her again.

She looked up and smiled.  "Hi, Jane."

"Hey, Becca."

She closed her book and looked at me, studying me.  "Why...do you want to sit with me?  No one ever wants to."

I thought for a second.  "Well...I like to make friends with those people who seem lonely.  Not out of pity, but because they are like me."

"You're lonely?"

I nodded.  "I have a unique personality.  I'm serious about my work, yet I'm carefree otherwise."