Chapter 8

Brett was gazing up at the massive glassy building in front of her, where in a minute she would be inside getting a fake rhinoplasty. Adjusting the Gucci purse on her arm, Brett put on a pair of coach sunglasses (just incase Chloe would be there) and marched into the crystal-building ready to face the worst.

   She walked up to a desk and waited for a secretary to check her in and then tell her where to go. The woman at the desk directed her to a spacious white room at the end of a long hallway. Brett reclined in a chair, and waited staring at the ceiling for another thirty minutes.

   “Hello Brettany.” Mr. Inoue said coming inside the room while closing the door. “I honestly didn’t think you’d agree to this surgery.”

   “That’s the thing Mr. Inoue, I didn’t.”

   “What? I have here that you signed the consent papers!"

   “Well I did sign them , but there’s a catch to the procedure.” Brett reached into her purse and pulled out the duffle bag she had prepared yesterday. She fished for the fake nose and took it out showing the creation to the Doctor. He immediately knew what Brett wanted to do and the two of them shared a mischievous grin.

   “I’ll go along with this plan, but just know the truth will come out some day. I won’t charge your mother for the surgery, and I’ll even help you put the fake nose on if you want.”

   Brett happily agreed to his offer and leaned back in the chair so that Dr. Inoue could mark up her nose with a cold black sharpie. He did everything as if she were really getting the rhinoplasty, and Brett froze when she saw him pick up a scalpel. He laughed at her expression, then used the small knife to cut gauze for a bandage. He laid the gauze down then used Brett’s make up to attach her plastic nose to her face. He took his time seeing as most of his co-workers probably expected him to be working on the nose for a couple hours, and when he was finished Brett thought he had actually done the real surgery. Dr. Inoue bandaged the nose and gave her a bag of ice for the pain she was supposed to feel.  

   The both of them stared at the creation surprised that they might actually get away with this. And Brett gave the doctor a hug for his job. As she was turning a corner, she spotted a familiar head of sleek black hair.

   “Shoot!” Brett cursed ducking behind an empty reception desk. She reached into her bag and put on the Coach sunglasses she had on earlier, and took a brochure from the desk. Placing the pamphlet in front of her face, Brett forced herself to walk swiftly and not make any eye contact what so ever, with anyone! She walked three feet before Chloe noticed her.

   “Brett! Is that you?”

   “Erm…”

   “What are you doing here?” Chloe asked, her eyes narrowing as she eyed the brochure. Everyone was going to know about this sooner or later, it’s just a shame that Chloe had to be the first one to know. Brett bounced on her feet and slowly lowered the plastic surgery pamphlet.

   “I got my nose done.”

   Chloe’s eyes grew to the size of saucers and she stared at the mess of white tissue over Brett’s face.

   “Is this why you didn’t want to have the spa day at your house?”

   “Yeah.”

   “Well, I hope it looks good.” Chloe sympathized, and before Brett had even turned around and walked out of the store; Chloe had her phone out and was spreading the word.

   When Brett got home her mother enveloped her in a giant hug, and had her sit down in front of the television. She was allowed to eat ice-cream and cake the whole night, and she even got a foot massage. The next day wasn’t any different. Brett wasn’t supposed to go to school on Thursday because the pain should have been unbearable, but she felt just fine. In fact Brett felt fantastic.

   When her mother left for work, after fluffing Brett’s pillows, and adjusting her fluffy bedroom slippers, Brett ran to her room, and brought her artwork down stairs so she could work on it. She then proceeded to eat an entire pie, no guilt ensuing. At dinner, they ordered take out, Brett’s favorite, and played Monopoly after the meal, which is her favorite game. Brett indulged in the joyfulness of the night, for she knew that tomorrow, when she revealed the nose, would be nothing like today.