Chapter 21

“Jesse I’m scared Jason’s going to find out.” Brett said on her bed with a box of tissues. Jesse sighed with relief, and sat down in a chair at Brett’s desk.

            “When you called me saying you were scared of Jason, I thought he had hit you or something.”

            Brett laughed and blew her nose. “No way Jesse, if there’s anyone that could do the hurting in this relationship it would be me.”

            “Still I was worried. Now what are you afraid of him finding out about again?”

            Brett looked at her friend and cocked an eyebrow. She got up to shut the door of her room, and then sat back down on the bed.

            “I’m afraid of him finding out about Simon. He almost did today! I had to use the skin from my fake nose to cover up the hickeys on my neck.” Brett said peeling off a piece of plastic that looked very similar to the skin on her neck. “I slapped it on when he was lost in some kind of thought, and lied through my teeth. I wish I could break up with him.”

            Do it! Jesse internally shouted, she shot up from the chair and looked at her friend. If Brett was the one that broke up with Jason, there would be no suspicion of her cheating.

             “Maybe you should. You might want to switch onto someone who’s less suspicious.”

            “Don’t you see, that would just make it worse. If I broke up with him then immediately dated someone else, he’d think that was the person I was cheating on him with.”

            “So don’t immediately date someone else.”

            “But that’s the only way I can see Simon.”

            “So you tell your parents your going to see Jason, then go hang out with Simon?”

            “Kind of.”

            A thought came to Jesse. “Does Simon know about this?”

            “No! And you can’t tell him, that’s why I trust you with these secrets. You can’t tell anyone.”

            “I won’t tell a soul. But don’t you think that’s a little deceiving.”

            “What he doesn’t know can’t hurt him. Besides it’s not like they’ll ever talk to each other.”

            Jesse looked at her friend, and for once didn’t feel guilty about the cheating.

            “Don’t worry about Jason, I’ll make sure he never pries into your business again.” Jesse said feeling a little disgusted with her friend now. “I’ve got to go.”

            “Wait! I know what your thinking. You think I’m some kind of horrible lying cheating monster. You think I’m selfish. And maybe I am, but I-I think I love Simon and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep him.”

            “I don’t think you can love someone while you’re cheating on them. That’s not really how it works.”

            “I don’t expect you to understand it.” Brett said smiling sadly at the floor.

            “Yeah, and I hope I never will.” Jesse said feeling appalled. Poor unsuspecting art freak Simon was being played like some kind of card.

            “I love you Jesse, you’re basically my sister okay!” Brett said calling to Jesse as she walked down the stairs.