1

Chapter One (edited May 2021)

Calum's outfit

Luke's outfit

Calum hummed to himself, tapping his chin lightly as he walked through a long aisle of books

Calum hummed to himself, tapping his chin lightly as he walked through a long aisle of books. The tan boy brushed his fingers against the rows of books, glancing at each title, none appealing to him. His heels thumped softly against the carpeted floor of the quiet library. He stopped in front of one of the mahogany shelves, brushing the wood with the pads of his fingers. Most of the books in this section were blanketed in dust, never touched or glanced at as they sat in the corner, up the metal railing staircase and away from most of the sunlight casted in through the floor to ceiling windows downstairs. Calum ran his thumb over the title of one of the books, the velvet cover soft against his skin.

'The Happenings Of Vernan Claus'

He hummed, taking the book off of the shelf, watching the two books around it fall against each other. He flipped through the pages, blindly walking out of the aisle.

A gasp left his lips as he collided into another body, his book falling from his hands. Being the clumsy boy he typically finds himself to be, his ankle twists slightly and he begins falling back. Before he could hit the floor, two arms wrap themselves around his waist and carefully pull him back up. Calum gripped at whatever he could, regaining his balance and trying to reassess his surroundings. The boy looked up, his eyes meeting a pair of concerned hazel irises. Calum breathed out shakily, his hands fisting the mans light grey sweater.

The tall stranger smiled softly, slowly releasing Calum's waist. Calum blushed, letting go of the mans sweater as he shuffled back. The man pushed his glasses further onto his nose, trailing further to card his fingers through neat sandy curls.

"I'm really sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," Calum could feel heat rising in his cheeks and he shuffled a bit on his feet. The man bent down and grabbed Calum's book, handing it to him with a small, warm smile.

"It's not a big deal. I'm Ashton," the man held his hand out and Calum, nearly swooning as he placed his hand in the man's hand and slowly shook it.