The bad boy is my enemy (4)

BANG. I shot into a sit up position, my heart beating quickly at the sudden commotion. I checked the time, it read 1:30am.

What the hell was going on?

The noise came again and I realised it was the slamming of doors. Curiously, I crawled out of my bed and opened my door only a creek. I popped my head out of the door and listened. More of the loud noises erupted before sighing and Elaine's voice in a whisper yell.

"Will you stop?! You're going to wake the kids!"

I listened, but I couldn't hear much else. It was clear they were arguing. Excessive yelling came next, but I couldn't work out what they were saying, other than the occasional name, "Alex".

That's when I noticed him. Stood doing the exact same as me, although a little closer to the stair case as his door was closer. He shook his head and turned as soon as I noticed he was there, almost as on cue.

He stared at me, clearly tired with a down expression on his face, which soon smoothed out to almost emotionless. Almost. You don't fool me Alex Parker.

I thought of saying something to him. Maybe going to comfort him. He would probably hate that.

He hated me, so why would he want me around at that moment? I offered him a sympathetic smile, but he only stared for a few more seconds before closing his door on me.

I did the same, getting back into bed and facing the ceiling as the hushed arguing continued. Poor Alex.

~~~

When we got up that morning, Thomas Parker was of course, gone and Elaine was playing her usual happy role of the 'there's nothing going on, our family is in a perfect place' type of mum. I felt bad, if they were having problems, it was most likely not helping that I was staying. I was probably stressing out Alex even more than he needed.

Speaking of Alex, it was 11am and he hadn't yet shown his face. He got up before me, when I came down he was in the shower and since then he had not moved from his room.

Avoiding me? I didn't blame him. Maybe he was embarrassed that I had heard.

Elaine headed out to work and I decided it was probably time I saw my best friend, Casey Leigh. It felt like I hadn't seen her in ages. However, I didn't want to disturb Alex, so I scribbled down a note and left it on the kitchen counter. I grabbed my jacket and headed out to Casey's house, only a fifteen minute walk.

When I got in her drive I texted her.

"Hey can I come over?"

"Sure, I'm in."

"Good cause I'm in your driveway :p"

I didn't bother knocking, I just walked in, yelled that I was here and made my way to Casey's room.

When I entered, she was stood by her mirror, holding two skirts up and weighing out her options. When she saw me, she dropped them and ran to engulf me in a hug.

"What're you doing?" I watch her confused as she returned to the mirror and I plonked myself on her bed.

Since when did Casey wear nice skirts?