The Bad Boy Is My Enemy (18)

They bet on me?  My chest aches, cheeks flushed red as the weight of the remaining eyes in the room land on me.

"W-what? No. no you didn't, you wouldn't! Tell me it isn't true" I demand, the lump in my throat hurting. Alex stays with his feet planted by the chair he was sat on and his gaze flickers to the ground. Ethan, still with the phone in his hand just sighs and moved toward me.

"I can explain..." he tries, discomfort and possible regret sat within his facial features. He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. No, he can't explain.

"So what you're turning into him now?!" I point a finger at Alex accusingly, looking up to Ethan who is a whole head taller, but I don't feel intimidated.

"In my sixteen years only now did I choose to get to know him! Why? Because he does this. You're home for what a two weeks and you're already acting like him?!" I scream, Ethan groans, putting his face into his palms and muttering under his breath.

"And you!" I turn hot on my heels, stalking across the living room so I'm inches away from Alex. I point my index finger close to him. "I didn't think even you would sink this low..and you took Ethan with you. You're toxic Alex Parker!" I wipe furiously under my eyes, refusing to cry in front of them. Alex looks at me blankly, he had always been good at looking like nothing was effecting him.

"The bet wasn't made to hurt you!" Alex defends himself. Making me feel like it is one of those moments you're told the world doesn't revolve around you.

"Then what exactly was it supposed to do?!" I snap. "Stay away from me. Both of you. I guess you both have to pay up" I grab my jacket and head out of the living room, focusing my stare on the door.

"It wasn't for money" Ethan whines. "Max I'd never do that to you"

"You don't get to act like the good guy" I tell him, leaving the house and taking the cool night breeze against my face refreshingly.

~~~
Alex POV:

One week ago :

"O'Donnell! There's this thing called passing the ball" I yell, closing my helmet. It was Ethan's first training session for our lacrosse team and he was testing my patience. Is that because he isn't passing enough or because I don't like him?

We join the back of the line, of course I'm paired up with him. The aim of this training method was for two players to get through the defense team and shoot successfully, easier said than done.

Once we reach the front of the queue again, I start with the ball. We run as fast as we can, in low competition to run faster that the other . Charging at the defender and dodging at the last moment, swinging my lacrosse stick and throwing the ball over another defenders head . Ethan catches it and shoots, not very well of course. The ball is easily caught by our keeper and we return back to the queue.

"Learn to shoot and score" I tell him, frustration most likely clear in my voice.

"My shot was perfect" he defends himself. "Let's talk about the real reason you hate me yeah?" he teases. "You really like her huh? Well you need to say away from her"

"Like you are any better for her" I scoff, rolling my eyes and turning to watch Grayson take out the defense.

"Oh I am" the over confident arsehole is really getting on my nerves now.

"Just work on your scoring" I dismiss him, shutting down the conversation and with any luck, he will get the hint and I won't have to listen to his voice for the remains of the session.