Chapter 11

"Alec, what is it?" Anna questioned softly as she looked up at the boy in front of her. He looked pained and conflicted as he looked down at her. He wasn't sure what he should say. The two simply stood gazing at one another and Anna began to get worried.

"Alec?" she asked again, this time placing her hands on either side of his face, making him look directly into her eyes. He stared deeply into her eyes, wondering how he ever got so lucky as to find her again or to even have met her in the first place. He hated seeing her so pained as she was just moments ago in the throne room.

"Are-are you alright?" Alec managed to stutter out, shaking himself out of his daze. He looked anywhere but at her, worried that if he continued to look into her eyes he would lose himself completely.

"Alec, look at me" Anna told him as she reached her hand up towards his face once more, turning his head to look at her "I'm fine, now tell me what's really wrong. I can tell there's something else bothering you other than the fact that I was a little shaken up back there" at her words Alec seemed to stiffen, he knew what he was really worried about; he was worried that she and Demetri were closer than he anticipated.

"How did you and Demetri meet?" Alec blurted out quickly, unable to stop himself; the question had been burning in the back of his mind for a while now. Anna let out a soft girlish giggle as she looked down at her feet; the sound was like music to Alec's ears.

"Demetri and I met at a ball in France, back in the seventeen hundreds" Anna explained in a happy voice "he asked me to dance and so we did, afterwards we went out and talked of our lives. He told me of how he was staying with an Egyptian coven but that he wasn't sure that's where he belonged. We only saw each other again around a month or so ago back in London, why do you ask?" she finished speaking, now sitting back on her bed, looking towards Alec with a smile.

"Well I was just wondering if perhaps there was anything romantic going on between the two of you..." Alec replied, shifting uncomfortably between both feet. He was nervous of what she would say, he didn't know if he could handle her being with someone else but to his surprise she let out a small laugh.

"Oh, no Demetri and I are just friends. We don't even know each other that well" Anna told him, sending a dazzling smile in his direction. She just couldn't help smiling, even after all these weeks; she was so happy to be reunited with loved ones.

"Oh" Alec merely said but there was a wave of relief that washed over him at her statement. There was a comfortable silence between the two for a good few minutes as they both stayed in their own little world. Alec was looking around Anna's room with a fond look in his eyes, words could not describe how completely and utterly elated he was.

"You know," Alec began, breaking the silence as he picked up one of her necklaces that sat on top of an old chest of drawers "it's finally starting to feel like home here"

"What do you mean?" Anna questioned, cocking her head to the side "hasn't this always felt like home to you? I mean, you've lived here for centuries"

"Yes, but it never felt like home because you weren't here" Alec spoke to Anna's surprise. Why would it have mattered that she was here or not?

"This place never felt like home because it wasn't complete without you. You are my home Anna. You and Jane are my home, you are what gives me a reason to keep living" he continued, placing the necklace back where it was before and turning to face Anna "Anna, there's something I've been wanting to tell you since I found out you were alive; something that I realized after I lost you" Alec continued suddenly, before Anna had a chance to respond to his previous statement.